• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 shipping from CA to WA?

wsucougarx

I am brainstorming ways of getting a M109A3 home. Hmm, do I drive it home and chance getting pulled over by CHiP's by blowing past the 1 I-5 NB scale (Cottonwood) or should I just get this thing shipped. I'm leaning towards shipped. Anyone have any figures on what they paid or know what I can expect to pay for the 850 mile journey from French Camp, CA to Olympia, WA? Pretty much I-5 all the way. Shipping would more than likely be early-mid April. Just trying to computate all the expenses of this adventure. I'm sure shipping would be less than a blow by the scale ticket:wink: Does anyone in here have a CDL in Northern CA that would be able to drive it north of Redding CA, past the scales?
CDL endorsement planning is in the makings but not enough time to get it to drive her home. Well at least in Northern California anyways.

Last edited:

19kilo

Yep, I've never stopped at a scale in both the MV and also the rental box trucks in Northern California or other places. Its not like your using it for commercial use. Figure out which is cheaper for you. Flying down and picking it up, driving it and the hotels and whatnot, or having it shipped. Probably be more fun to drive it though! :D

Floyd

Cougar, if it'll drive hop in and do it. I drove my truck from Portland to SoCal and NEVER stoped at scales, never had a problem. I still blow past them all the time. Their''s a scale not far from the house on the I-15, I don't bother with them, they don't bother me.

Good luck, Floyd

BTW don't wear a purple shirt when driving. :)

grounded

Banned
Cougar im coming back out in mid-late april. Got a Class A lol. wanta make a road trip out of it ;) I will redirect my flight and just drive it up there. and get my cover rofl

usmc deuce cpl

If you want the help of the long distance recovery master ( Ha, Ha, Ha) I could probably help out, I even have CDL. This would be more fun than than my recovery. Learned lots from that one. And it would be shorter. PM me if you are interested.

MilitaryRestoration

No offense ahead of time but...Lol u guys n not getting cdl's n blowing scales thinking it's funny... To be honest it's cuz of people like u that we that are legal have to deal with so many laws n restrictions... I'll be the one laughing when cvp's got u pulled over as I drive in n out of a scale house LEGALLY
Coug I'll get your truck legally for you if you want... Pm or call me

Floyd

It’s not a matter of thinking its funny. CA is one of the very few states that require a CDL. Other than state revenue it has little to do with safety. Those that elect to take the CDL do learn something about vehicular manipulation, we could all profit from a bit of that. One of the members no more than one was quoted as saying it’s not that difficult. Those that have read and studied the state CDL handbook and have an excellent knowledge of its content have read and reread the operator’s manuals for their specific vehicle, are they still guilty of crimes against humanity just because they didn’t present themselves before the state DMV?

I was told by more than one CHP officer, why stop. We are busy enough with out the burden of having to stop what we are doing to tell you guys to just move on.

Floyd

MilitaryRestoration

bet that chp wont say that in court after you've killed someone... laws are laws and they are there for reasons... there are many many reasons why vehicles 16000lbs(here in wa. for example) should be and need to be going into the scales. They are the eyes for safety and catch a lot of things and stop a lot of disasters.... HOW DOES IT HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH SAFETY?!?! Maybe you should stop in one and see what really goes on. They watch the equipment more than they do the weight. How would you feel if your mothers, brothers, fathers, sisters, any family memeber's or friends life was taken just because someone didn't use safety chains, forgot to lock the pintle, had cracked spring packs, bad axle, etc etc I could go on and on... I've been driving truck legally(on road and not just out on property since I was a little one) for 5 years now and ya it sucks and i hate going to scales but it's a simple fact that it's the law and so be it if you get a ticket for something stupid, maybe next time you'll remember and wont do it again, in end possibly saving you or someone elses life. There are too many people out there thinking that bigger vehicles are like cars and pickups and that is not the case! Too many unexperienced drivers on road and thats another reason for scales. Ya it makes revenue, but it's a great feeling seeing a lot of the trucks in the inspection booths that should've been in there long before. If you really want an earful about this topic, call my uncle who works for WSP and has worked scale houses, after hearing all the stories of morons and their vehicles you wont even want to drive your car on the road anymore. All in my 2cents, I just think it's funny how so many people avoid cdl but yet think they are privledged to drive vehicles requiring cdl's. Besides, if it's "So easy of a test" then why dont you just take the test and be done with it and legal. It's going to suck when you do get involved in some accident and state patrol asks where your cdl is...

Floyd

Well! What can I say, I agree those LEO’s would never stand up in court and repeat what they told me. I’m going to make a general statement that the majority of our MV's do not spend their useful life as a commercial vehicles carrying neither heavy loads nor do they do cross country work 24/7.

I’m positive that the very same inexperienced drivers that you uncle had problems with had the same issues with their passenger cars (they kill also). Lets stop pussy footing about and get behind safety checks for passenger cars, one every six months. All the SS that reside in states that do not require a CDL get on the phone and call your state representative and beg that they require a CDL for your three axle vehicle. Have your mothers, brothers, sisters and family members back you up with a call.

I hate to be flippant. IMHO MV owners are very conservative in how they maintain and operate their trucks, tracks, and Jeeps, sadly much better than the Military. Once again the majority of states have elected to not require a CDL. We’re talking strictly MV’s. So why are all the other states so very wrong?

Floyd

:rant:

Last edited:

MilitaryRestoration

California has more strict laws due to the fact of how many people reside and drive in the state. More chances of idiots, even more than the usual ones, of being in vehicles and especially vehicles of bigger size. I never said other states should have required cdl's for their 'three axle' vehicles, so dont put words in my mouth. btw you forgot to tell the others about their friends calling to 'back them up' as well. lol I was stating that since your state does require it, why dont you just be legal... You even said it yourself, 'the test isn't hard or people have told me that it's not hard' so then take the test or affraid of not passing it ;-). And not all mv owners are conservative in how they manitain and operate. Most have good intentions but a lot of times never do things or never get things done. And then there are the mv owners who just beat their trucks to death. And not pointing fingers to anyone on SS, i'm just stating that I've seen others that drive their trucks like they are invisible and no up keep. Btw, state of oregon just did a huge bust and 25% of vehicles that were supposed to have cdls, did not. Guess what happend to them, fines, license revoke, and some even jail time... but do what you wanna do buddy! lol i'd love to see my facial expressing if i ever saw you getting caught for running a scale house. There's a perfect song for you... 'I fought the law..., but the, LAW WON! haha only time... only time... Good luck to ya, do me a favor though n stay down in your area, or better yet come up this way and let me know, i'll be sure to tip the smokey's off for ya 0:)

Hans

bet that chp wont say that in court after you've killed someone... laws are laws and they are there for reasons... there are many many reasons why vehicles 16000lbs(here in wa. for example) should be and need to be going into the scales. They are the eyes for safety and catch a lot of things and stop a lot of disasters.... HOW DOES IT HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH SAFETY?!?! Maybe you should stop in one and see what really goes on. They watch the equipment more than they do the weight. How would you feel if your mothers, brothers, fathers, sisters, any family memeber's or friends life was taken just because someone didn't use safety chains, forgot to lock the pintle, had cracked spring packs, bad axle, etc etc I could go on and on... I've been driving truck legally(on road and not just out on property since I was a little one) for 5 years now and ya it sucks and i hate going to scales but it's a simple fact that it's the law and so be it if you get a ticket for something stupid, maybe next time you'll remember and wont do it again, in end possibly saving you or someone elses life. There are too many people out there thinking that bigger vehicles are like cars and pickups and that is not the case! Too many unexperienced drivers on road and thats another reason for scales. Ya it makes revenue, but it's a great feeling seeing a lot of the trucks in the inspection booths that should've been in there long before. If you really want an earful about this topic, call my uncle who works for WSP and has worked scale houses, after hearing all the stories of morons and their vehicles you wont even want to drive your car on the road anymore. All in my 2cents, I just think it's funny how so many people avoid cdl but yet think they are privledged to drive vehicles requiring cdl's. Besides, if it's "So easy of a test" then why dont you just take the test and be done with it and legal. It's going to suck when you do get involved in some accident and state patrol asks where your cdl is...

I like your way of thinking !!!:driver: There is always the '' what if " Factor.

wsucougarx

Uh, this thread is turning into a monster unintentionally.

Moderators please stop this thread or even better let's put this fire out and just get rid of it:|

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cougar. The hauler I used goes thru there pretty often. Regarding cost, he quoted me in January to haul a M342a2 from San Diego to Gig Harbor for $1,200.00. PM me if you want to contact him. Otherwise, I have a class B California CDL and may be able to join you for a recovery if you want to drive her up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks