• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stryker's VW

Thought you guys would appreciate this: my 1967 VW beetle, modified into a military styled 'rat rod' The headlights are actually from a German military vehicle called a Kubelwagen :-D

Attachments

Its a 1665cc flat four VW motor that was originally built for use in a Baja racer. We ended up never finishing that project, so I reappointed the motor for use in my street rod. Topped it off with dual carbs and electronic ignition. She'll easily beat anything but a big V8 muscle car. Tops out at 105mph in Fourth gear :-D

wdbtchr

I'm not sure I'd want to go 105 in a Beetle, my wife had one before we got married 30 odd years ago and highway speed was hard to take. Or maybe just her driving?:roll:

Last edited:

jmccall

OOOO! Very nice volksrod! I am not into VW's myself, but they are cool! A neighbor down the street has one, sounds funny though?! lol. And there is also an old gentleman who has "barn" stored a 1950 ford truck, and 73? automatic convert bug. I was more interested in the truck. I asked him if the bug was sentimental, he said nope, automatic. At the time I didn't know most all bugs were manual.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm not sure I'd want to go 105 in a Beetle, my wife had one before we got married 30 odd years ago and highway speed was hard to take. Or maybe just her driving?:roll:
Musta been her driving! ;) I had several of them in the early years of my marriage and ran 'em at highway speeds all the time. They would do 70 on the interstate all day long and never gave me a problem, handling-wise.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Head lamps look like those off of a unimog.

What about working in an M-series instrument cluster, along with a box seat and a huge steering wheel. You could hang M-series lights off of the back too.

Then add long stretched out box fenders.

3dubs

My bus does about 75 and has been coast to coast. Going up th continental divide was slow! But now I have to rebuild my 2.0 flat four that is fuel injected.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here is a picture of my 63 back in 1969. Wish I could find more pictures of it. Had a OD canvas sun roof that a GI at the para loft made for me. About 2 weeks after this shot it got a Baja kit.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks