• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV and EMP

SDF Troop

I'm working on a paper about Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if the M1009 is hardened against EMP? I know that most vehicles made after 1972 (or anything with an electronic ignition system) is subject to EMP effect unless it is hardened. How do you go about protecting any vehicle against EMP? Are Dueces EMP resistant? I wasn't sure if the military did that as a normal procedure.

Michael

Did you read the two posts that are recommended at the bottom? One of them has practically the same title. It is closed so I guess you couldn't add to it.

The CUCV is not shielded but it is debatable if there is much on it that needs to be. There are some good links in the old post.

Michael

I have picked up an item or two over the years that said it was hardened against EMP in the online description of the NSN. It was a wiring harness with heavy wire braiding around the outside like coax cable and screw on connectors at each end. Another was a wire in a metal tube with screw on connectors.

CUCVs just have off the shelf parts so there is nothing hardened about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks