• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a M185A3

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I decided it was time to move up from the trusty M1028. I was looking at M109'a or awhile and won this M185a3 from Barstow. I won it without inspecting it. I submitted my EUC on 3/25 and got approval today, the 31st. My 1st EUC took like a month so 4 working days is amazing. Now I plan to drive it the 220 miles home from Barstow. It looks pretty tight from the pictures so hopefully there are no surprises. It only looks like its missing two of those hard to find window covers:wink:

Attachments

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good. I noticed the push button light switch.

What is it that makes a 185 different from a 109?

Green_gator

Glad to see that this went to a fellow Steel Soldier. I was bidding on that one. Looking for a West Coast one to stash in Colorado for my trips to visit my brother. It looks really good and hope that you have an easy recovery.

Opie

Contents. M109's are for certain field repairs and M185's are apparently for repair of even more specialized equipment such as electronics. Mine has a plate indicating it was for repair of communications equipment, and that the plate was to be removed when the shop equipment was taken out (and presumably the designation designation as an M185, as well).

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, looks a lot like my truck out of Barstow. Just waiting for the EUC to clear BC. I won on the 12th, but my paperwork sat at GL for more than a week before they asked for revisions. It's been in BC for 6 business days today. The supplies and tools are loaded, I just need the PAID in FULL to go get her. My avatar is the inside of my truck. I like to think I paid $1100 for that stuff and got the truck for free. Good luck on your recovery. When are you going?

Attachments

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

So I showed up early at Barstow and did a quick look over on the truck. I did not inspect this truck before bidding so it was a crap shoot. I was surprised! The truck was over hauled recently and everything looked brand new under the hood. The engine data plate was date 9/97. The truck even had the electronic light switch. The only thing it was missing was the headlamps and the front shackles. I got in the truck and it fired right up like a champ. I made the 300 mile trip home to Mammoth Lakes with only two minor issues.

When warm the starter solenoid needs a quick tap from the hammer to start. I’m sure that is going to be a pain to fit. The horn also goes off when I turn to the right over washboard dirt roads. I have no idea where to start looking for that fix???? Since getting it home, I installed a new power port, sanded it and it will receive new tan paint in the next couple of weeks. Overall I am very pleased with the truck. He are some pictures I took today in the high Sierra’s.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They stole one of my shackles at Barstow too! The other one was rusty so they couldn't grab it quick. Damn thieves.

Pawnshop

Looks good. I noticed the push button light switch.

M109s are for machine shop type jobs and come equipped with a lathe, press, drill press and a small mill (I think)

M185s are for "instrument repair" and typically have small parts bins, work benches and sometimes a tone generator (for testing radio receivers) and other electronics repair stuff.

There is no difference in the truck itself that I can see, only in it's tools and job, though my data plate clearly shows M109 so I don't think the number would change if the tools got changed out.

I talked briefly at a show not long ago with a gentleman that spent 9 months repairing radios in a M185 in Vietnam.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks