• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M185A3 Recovery out of Richmond

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm recovering my 7th deuce, a M185A3, out of Richmond next Tuesday. Headwizard did give me some basic notes on the truck before I bid. Thank you very much!! First truck that I haven't previewed in person. Was lot #5851 out of Sale #3973.

I have two questions. Any chance someone else previewed and has some insight on roadworthiness? I know i need a headlight, but was wondering if the brakes have pressure and any other tidbits that might help prepare my day.

Also, I'll be heading back to PA at the worst possible time to hit DC (if there is a good time). Any locals know of a good way to head west on the south side of DC aiming for Dulles/Leesburg without first hitting 495? I want to go up through Frederick and on up to PA via Rte 15. I'm ok hitting the toll road at dulles. Just don't know how to get from south of Dulles to Dulles. I'm ok from Dulles to Frederick and beyond unless someone has an even better idea.

Any SSers along the route to help in a jam? If so, please PM me your cell numbers.

The M185A3 will become a mobile office for my business where I can layout plans and specs. Better than a job trailer and can double as tailgate central for PSU games in the fall.

Many thanks gents.

J.

Attachments

Chevytruck

this may be useless, but nice truck :-D

and i have no idea about DC area... only went through there once on a tour bus :oops:

sorry to be of no help

peecook

sorry i wont be in town, i'd like to help get her out. i never started her, but did a visual awhile ago. i tried to find my notes but assume i've thrown them out by now. i dont remember anything negative about her.

as far as the trip, i've used 17N just north of Fredricksburg. Follow that to 15N through Warrenton and it will take you all the way up to Leesburg then Fredrick. Much better than 495 and 270.

Good luck.

Chow717

Thats the route I would take. When we head down to the spring and fall race in Richmond we take 81south, I66 east then 17south. 17 runs into 15 in Warrenton like peecook mentioned. A much better ride, and very scenic, compared to 95 and 270.

Chuck

sorry i wont be in town, i'd like to help get her out. i never started her, but did a visual awhile ago. i tried to find my notes but assume i've thrown them out by now. i dont remember anything negative about her.

as far as the trip, i've used 17N just north of Fredricksburg. Follow that to 15N through Warrenton and it will take you all the way up to Leesburg then Fredrick. Much better than 495 and 270.

Good luck.
Here's another vote on the 17N cut-across. I've used that route a couple of times coming back from work trips through nasty traffic (i.e. Ft. Detrick to Norfolk area when i would've hit DC around 4:00). Extra miles and stops, but a lot slower and more relaxed if you're trying to get an MV home. :-D

Chuck

dm22630

Here is a MUCH better way to get from Richmond to York. Especially since you cant go over 55mph anyway! And....you dont want to break down on the side of I-95! There is a biiiig stretch of this route that is about an hour from me if you needed assistance.

How did you set up your pickup? I have 3 M813s I need to get from Richmond & no one answers phones or returns messages?

Here is the route --- (7 miles longer than going around 495!)

from:richmond, va to:38.646908,-77.794189 to:York, PA - Google Maps

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks DM.

Call Charles (and only call him Charles) at 602-820-7883. It's his cell. Leave a message and he should get back to you. PM me for his e-mail address. Make sure you check in though. I was getting pretty close to the 14 day cutoff. He's a nice guy near as I can tell and from what others have said. But just get a message to him. He will default if correspondence is nil and plans have not been made. Leave the invoice #, sale #(s), and Lot #(s) on your message. Seems to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks