• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

railroad wheels for a jeep?

ida34

They are special wheels. A guy from Michigan has a setup. I don't know his name but every year for the last 3 years he has had the jeep with a small model at the Clare show and swap meet. He has a couple of rails that he set down and puts the jeep on them to demonstrate how it works. I am sure that Lane Young might know who the guy is.

tree207

Those were vehicles used by the US Army's Railroad Transportation Corps. They had railroad wheels, rail compatible steel wheels. so that the vehicle could be used to "patrol" the rail line to check for any areas requiring repair aside from military issues and bring labor and material to the site often only accessible by rail.

They operated the rail lines of areas under military jurisdiction all over the world and were a little recognized component of the American genius for efficient logistical systems that kept American and Allied forces supplied.

Most of the vehicles would have had to have been field fabricated as the rail lines operated were not all of standard gauge (4'81/2") wide. And interestingly enough the standard gauge is a measurement that is a remnant of the Roman Empire, it was the standard width of their chariot and wagon wheels.

mikes47jeep

Why do you want them? Do you actually have any where safe to use them?
why do i want them?:grin: i had to anwser that same question when i first got the jeeps

steamtown national historic site has a couple events a year wouldent be able to get much track time but i could at least set it on the rails

and their are also rail car collector clubs that get permission to ride the rails in thir speeders

NARCOA - North American Railcar Operators Association

as far as the wheels i heard that they are dodge WC or CCKW rims that were cut in half

Mike

tractor

I started a topic a while back on it over there. Under Jeep mods when I almost ended up with a jeep a few months ago. I ended up with the weasel instead

rideni

Those are not rims cut and half they are a small light weight railroad wheel similar to that on a fairmount speeder.
I'm a qualified engineering employee on a class 1 railroad I didn't want to see some railfan get another silly waste of money and try to endanger myself as well as there selves by trying to run it on the main.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels on the first jeep are simply CCKW rims trimmed with jeep bolt patterns welded into the centers. Very easy design, fits standard gauge (4ft 8.5in) quite well.

The one with the speeder wheels is a custom job. Spacers bolt to the jeep axle, then the standard speeder rims bolt to that.

There were speeder wheels that were made with the jeep bolt pattern and the correct offset already in place. The fella I bought my M38a1 from had a set in his shop. I should have bought them instead of the jeep!!!aua

the last set of photos are narrow gauge, probably 3ft. Not sure what the rims are off of. But they did the same thing, got the spacing right, and welded in the jeep centers.

If you flipped the front hubs on a deuce, and put just bare rims on, it would ride down the tracks quite nicely. I've got a set of hydraulic hyrail gear for the Air Force Railroad here, but they won't fit a pickup. but they will fit a deuce quite nicely. :wink:

I WILL drive my deuce on the rails one day, mark my words.:twisted:

Gordon_M

NOL00023.jpg

Of course when you had the railway wheels on it, you'd need a matching trailer to tow...

My Nolan Road / Rail trailer, to tow behind a Dodge I'm making like this...RAILER.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks