• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Milling machine pickup from Albany, GA

jrou111

You know what happens when you assume. :wink:

After all, a deuce bed weighs 1 ton, but I sure as heck wouldn't attempt to lift one with my hoist.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say to figure on 3,000lbs. May be a little high but those older mills tend to weigh more than the newer ones. I have no idea what the accual lift cap. of a 2 ton engine hoist is. I know sometimes that kind of stuff is over rated.

jrou111

Good news, I reserved a single axle 6x12 tilt trailer from sunbelt rentals instead of a 6x12 ramp trailer from uhaul. It should hopefully make the loadout easier.

m16ty, on the weight. According to Van Norman collectors/restorers the weight is approx 1800 lbs originally. With a motor instead of the old overhead belt drive it should be right around 2000lbs.

jrou111

Well I got it home. It was a crazy trip! It WAS alot heavier, around 3000lbs, but the folks in the machine shop actually loaded it with a forklift :-D. S/N shows 1951 build year. It came with a few tool holders and mills, but none of them fit in the spindle properly, so I'll have to investigate that.

It's still sitting on the legs of the hoist right now, but I lubed up the ways and everything moves good, with a small amount of backlash.

I hooked up 110v to it and she fired right up, power feed too! The 12 speed gearbox runs 70-1450 rpm on the spindle and 12 speed gearbox on the power feed runs 3/8" per min-14" per min.

I got some pics of us unloading it but it's on a friend's camera (who knows when he'll send them to me :roll:)

But here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

OLDCHEV4X4

Congrats! And it has what looks like a 6" swivel vice too. 110V makes things alot easier, no converter needed.
Get a lathe and start on those spin on filter adapters!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks