• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce PArking Brake

MDSA

Finally got around to adjusting the parking brake on my Deuce. I was having trouble with the cable as well. It wouldn't move. I was looking at it the other day and I found a grease fitting on the cable under the cab that I had been told about but had never seen. So... no grease in quite some time. A few squirts of grease and the cable now moves.

I had heard adjusting the parking brake could be a pain, and it was very awkward getting to it and keeping wrenches on it, but it is so nice having a nice tight parking brake again.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I consider the handle a way to fine tune the brake. To adjust outside the range of the handle, you need to find the lever on the drum under the truck. Might be able to see it between cab and cargo bed, but to adjust, you need to sit under the truck.

KaiserPower

While your under there, check the return spring above the brake shoes, at the end of the cable... It's attached to a small metal tab... I just replaced my shoes and saw that the spring had cut a 3/4" groove across that tab and was about to become unsecured. I had to drill a new hole to hook the spring to before it failed. You'll need at least a foot long drill bit to reach up in there over everything to do it.

Boatcarpenter

Don't forget to make sure the "U" or horseshoe spring is there on the bottom of the shoes also or the rattle at certain speeds will drive you crazy trying to find. it.
BC

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
John, I think the cables w/o the grease zerk is for the adjustable handle and the ones with are for the whale tail style. I have never seen them any other way. .02

dittle

If the nut on the end of the cable (assuming its same on old style cable as new) has moved once keep an eye on it as it may move again. Simple fix is just to put a second nut against the first one to keep them from moving. The one on my deuce loosened itself after I had adjusted it so I just double nutted it....problem solved.

otisroy

Do you remember what size the nut was? I think mine came loose this weekend, but I didn't have time to mess with it since it was Mother's Day and all.

dittle

I don't remember the size of the nut, I have access to the original hardware at the museum so I just used a 2nd one of those. I can look Wed/Thurs this week as I'll be at the museum moving some tanks around.

k4vem4n

I was having trouble with the cable as well. It wouldn't move. I was looking at it the other day and I found a grease fitting on the cable under the cab that I had been told about but had never seen. So... no grease in quite some time. A few squirts of grease and the cable now moves
I am having the same problem....I pumped the fitting FULL of grease until it started oozing out near the brake handle....still STUCK....I'm afraid the grease traveled up to the handle only and the part that is "seized" is more towards the drum.

If I could just get it to break free....shoulda seen me I musta looked like dang monkey jumping up and down tryin with all my strength.

I haven't been able to find another grease fitting.... anyone have a suggestion short of replacing the cable? The cable is fine...no rust, frays, cuts..(that I can see).

I'm thinking I may have to remove the entire cable to straighten it out and force it to move. what a PITA!

k4vem4n

With a torch? Should I heat the cable directly? near the arm at the hub?
I picture the the grease liquefying and flowing down to the....by god it just might work!!!

Thanks, sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a shot later.

k4vem4n

Well back to square one....
I heated up both ends of the cable with a torch and tugged on the lever....repeatedly. probably did this at least ten times.
I felt like the lever was going to give in before the cable would budge, (the lever started twisting)

I think, if anything, I'll need to pull the cable from the hub end, just to break it free.
So, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'll have to disconnect the cable so it hangs, so I can grab a hold of the end, since there is no place to get leverage to pull the arm......hmmm, maybe i'll whack the arm with a mallet......there might be room for that... we'll see

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I meant heat the cable in the middle, not the ends. Another way is to release the bake handle and to pull the outside shoe toward the passenger side of the truck. When driving trucks from Tx to Wi for Westy, we had a parking brake freeze on us in the "on" position. We ended up using a come-a-long to winch the arm open. It moved before, so we knew it would move again.

k4vem4n

If I heat it in the middle, I would melt the plastic sleeve. or did you mean by heating it, just to "warm" it up a little with indirect heat?

I think I'll try to hook a come-a-long to the arm too. Force that cable through... that thing is REALLY stuck in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks