• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor leaking oil

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My air compressor seems to be leaking oil inside the engine compartment. I cannot tell where exactly it is coming from since it is putting a mist all over. Does anyone have an idea on where to check and replace gaskets?

Does the compressor have its own oil source or does it feed from the engine oil?
Thanks in advance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a single or dual cylinder pump? Is the top round or more rectangle shape?

The mounting bracket has an oil passage that feeds from the block up to the base of the pump. The single cylinder has a copper line that feeds to the cylinder. The dual has additional passages. The oil drains back into the block via the mounting bracket.

If you remove the pump DO NOT use RTV sealant to form a gasket. You run the chance of blocking this passage and starving the pump of oil.

On a truck I picked up from GL I had an oil leak I could not find. Ends up someone "drilled" a hole in the case. JB welded a screw into it and no more leaks.

The only gaskets I cound find I got from Memphis. The pump base gasket and the mounting bracket gasket.

Here is a picture of my dual cylinder pump with the extra hole.

Attachments

Last edited:

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think mine is a dual piston like in the one in the PIC above. After cleaning and running, its seems to get wet around the cylinder head, and the port on the left side first. Tried to snug the bolt up a bit but they all seem tight.
Is there a good source for new gaskets if these can be replaced?

rat4spd

Just a note: They won't have this set in stock. They will order from the factory. It only took three days to get mine in. When I put my "new (used)" compressor on, the only thing I replaced was the front seal.

If I was less impatient, I would've tore the whole thing down and replaced everything. And I think it comes with everything. Somewhere in there are two little O-rings that come with the set.

JonMolander

If you remove the pump DO NOT use RTV sealant to form a gasket. You run the chance of blocking this passage and starving the pump of oil.

Warthog, why not RTV? Excuse my ignorance...I'm just learning here. I have a leak similar to what you're describing and I thought I would just use RTV to re-seal it. But your comment has me thinking. Could you explain what you mean please? Thanks.

JonMolander

Meaning don't use it. You can run the gasket dry or I use High Tack from auto parts place just to hold it in place.
Understand that you can use gaskets dry, but what I meant was why do you need a gasket at all when you can just use a high-temp liquid sealant? Will a liquid sealant break down faster than a replacement gasket set? Will it stand up to the expansion/contraction cycle demand? I'm trying to understand why there is such a market to track down and purchase the specific part number of the designed gasket set when you could make any gasket you need at home in your shop with a Permatex product in a tube.

Please excuse my naivety. I have to ask the dumb questions to find out what I don't know.

TB58

I believe what they are getting at with not using RTV is that there are small oil passageways that can and will be plugged when the hardware is tightened and the RTV is forced to displace. If it weren't for the possible blockage of the passageways then there wouldn't be an issue with using RTV.

JonMolander

I believe what they are getting at with not using RTV is that there are small oil passageways that can and will be plugged when the hardware is tightened and the RTV is forced to displace. If it weren't for the possible blockage of the passageways then there wouldn't be an issue with using RTV.

Aha. Totally get it now. Thanks fellas.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a complete gasket rebuild kit including the front seal that you can get from NAPA for the Midland twin. Cost is about $20.
Part number is # RN26GV
Is there a part # for the single as well on here?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks