• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mil Spec. Fuel Strainer for MEP-003a

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was doing some research into parts for a complete fluid change for my soon to be acquired (Wednesday) Mep-003a gensets. I came across some interesting information and thought I should share it with the group. This strainer is used on a LOT of the diesel equipment the military has. I know there are a lot of owners of military diesel equipment out there and I'm sure some of you may be in need of this strainer at some point in time if you want to keep the equipment original.

The fuel strainer listed in the parts TM for the MEP-003a is NSN# 2910-00-222-2216. I have
been driving myself nuts trying to find a new one just in case the old ones can't be cleaned properly or are damaged. During the searching I stumbled across some websites that allow cross references and look-up's of NSN's One in particular that is handy is WebFLIS, "Federal Logistics information Service".

Using the NSN I have for the strainer I found that it was replaced by this NSN# 2910-00-374-6020 around 1985. Further searching led me to a Purolator part number of 1752002-01. I called Purolator and was refered to their distributer for government sales in Florida somewhere. The company's name is "Gigli Enterprizes" Phone number 1-800-272-4777 the man to contact is TJ Larson (Ext. 201). Individuals are permitted to purchase these strainers and to the best of TJ's knowledge Purolator is still the only company making these strainers. I was quoted a price of $73.98 for one. I know it's kind of pricy but if a group from here were looking to buy in a larger quantity a better price could be obtained. I told TJ that there were probably others out there who want or need this part and I would pass it along.

I hope someone out there on SteelSoldiers finds this information usefull.

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
These are mesh strainers that last a lifetime and rarely need replaced. I good brushing should be adequate, However, another member on here did a real neat thing by pulling the strainer and the filter cans and replacing all 3 with a Wix base and screw on filter. It is under a thread about the MEP 002.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they are "cleanable", and I've seen the thread about the spin-on retrofit as well. I have a lot of free time on my hands right now, and thought it would be fun to find all of the correct replacement filters to use.

For that price I'm not buying one unless the others get trashed, but I know there are some folks out there that are fanatics about everything being "original equipment" like a restoration project or just nostalgia for some people.

Anyway, I thought somebody might find the information interesting or useful.

setinourwaves

MEP-002 & MEP-003 Fuel Strainer Source

I'm a new guy on here, but really needed to add this thread on where to buy the FRAM 35070 strainer that is much cheaper. It's $35 plus shipping. They have like 700+ of these strainers. The link is Flight Source, Inc.. I just bought one.:beer:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good news. I know that there are some people out there who want to OEM filters

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks