• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Few questions bout the deuce and a half

deleted user 10331

Hello Im new to this forum however Im glad I found it. My father and I have recently been looking into getting an m35. However we are having a few issues in finding out certain pieces of information and I was hoping you all could help, (let me know if I posted this in the wrong spot).

1. can these trucks be driven with a normal license or is a cdl required, also what kind of plates can be put on, the truck will be in illinois
2. after purchase must they be shipped to you or could you drive them immediately? (alot of sales ive seen even with running trucks mention buyer loads? not sure if that means having the truck shipped)
3. what should you look for in an m35 (miles, hours, and mechanicals that should be checked before purchase if possible
4. anything helpful/insightful that you know that I didnt think of would be amazing

If theres already a thred I havent found answering these or even similar questions please let me know, my father and I have yet to own any mv's so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No CDL required in most states. Don't know about plates for IL. I have regular personal truck tags on mine. As far as driving it home from a sale.....that's a crap shoot. Most of the trucks I've seen lately here in the south are from IL, and I wouldn't trust many of them around the block. A lot less of a headache to have it shipped. Just my 2cents.

54reo

1. No CDL required. I have AV plates on my M35A2 and I live in IL.

2. You can drive it, if it is able to be driven. Like pctrans said, it is a crap shoot. As far as having a shipper pick it up, that is not an issue, as long as the driver has all of the paperwork for a pick-up.

3. Best advise I can give here is to not trust any pics on GL and go preview the truck BEFORE you bid!

4. I would suggest you buy one from a private seller. I think ranchhopper is fairly close to your neck of the woods for example.

XM211DOG777

Newbie 2 newbie advice

I have looked at my own situation.
Now this is just my opinion.
First-Take your time,do the research,identify the different types and years available.Check out the different Govt auction sites and be patient.Wait for the right truck at the right price in the right shape.If you can ,try to contact the seller and get as much information as you can pry out of them, preferrably have someone in the know or yourself, look into the vehicle you have your sights on.When you decide on one,dont start a bidding war,decide how much is the most you want to spend,then wait to the very last minute,and enter a MAXIMUMbid.Now of course you will run into your competition also doing the same thing, but, you just might squeek by and win the bid.Check out the TITLE situation, the EUC situation and SF97 and other assorted paperwork.SURPRISES are not good, so do your homework.My particuliar situation for me and my truck,being a newbie, I panicked and arranged shipment myself.TRUST the people on this site for advice and help, and you will have no problems at all.Just take it one step at a time.
Well, thats my nickels worth.
DOG777:roll:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
XM211, You can't bid at the last minute at a GL auction. It's impossible to do. You can bid at the last minute of the closing time but it will extend it 15 min. The closest you can bid to the end is 15 min.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be aware that parts can and do disappear from trucks after you bid! Do a search on this site for all the guys who have had parts stolen or their trucks damaged while still on GL soil. Dudley (ATANKERSDAD) is probably the most recent person with parts stolen from his trucks. He had a light switch, tail light and lifting shackle stolen. I had over $1,300 worth of parts stolen from a truck I got from GL. Other guys have tools swiped out of their tool boxes, hard tops removes, tailgates removed, seats removed...on and on. That company sucks! Caveat emptor.

Nomad1

1st thing is as somebody mentioned the mile is incorrect on a number of these trucks so don't judge it by that.See how it starts and runs. Check the brakes, tires,frount axle boots and lifTpump amoung other things. For instance weather cracked tires mean legal they'll have to be replace in a lot of places. So keep these in mind when figure how much your willing to pay.Also with a lot of it check it like you would a regular vehicle.
Hello Im new to this forum however Im glad I found it. My father and I have recently been looking into getting an m35. However we are having a few issues in finding out certain pieces of information and I was hoping you all could help, (let me know if I posted this in the wrong spot).

1. can these trucks be driven with a normal license or is a cdl required, also what kind of plates can be put on, the truck will be in illinois
2. after purchase must they be shipped to you or could you drive them immediately? (alot of sales ive seen even with running trucks mention buyer loads? not sure if that means having the truck shipped)
3. what should you look for in an m35 (miles, hours, and mechanicals that should be checked before purchase if possible
4. anything helpful/insightful that you know that I didnt think of would be amazing

If theres already a thred I havent found answering these or even similar questions please let me know, my father and I have yet to own any mv's so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks