• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

surplus helicopters?

waayfast

Me and the boy(unbeknownst to him ) came within a twitch of buying an HH34J Choctaw.Had all the paper and the Data plates etc.Had the radial engine(not converted to the twin turbine)had enough hours left on 99% of components to make it flyable for not to much more money.Could have easily got it to restricted catagory.Heck for what it it looked like we would have had in it the boy could have used it to build time cheaper than renting a Robinson even at the 40gph fuel costs!! DANG! Woulda, shoulda,coulda------------------.It went to a museum in California. OH well, thats definately a regret not buying it.

Attachments

waayfast

Yeah,I don't understand what I did that the thumbnails won't click.:sad: Oh, yeah she was going to need a LOT of work but the potential was there-at least the paper work was there so as to be able to register and fly.But it was 1800miles away and my shop was 1 foot too short to get it inside so I passed.Would have been a LONG term project for sure. Still would have been pretty cool to fly out of the back yard. Talk about unhappy neighbors:p.

vtdeucedriver

Yeah,I don't understand what I did that the thumbnails won't click.:sad: Oh, yeah she was going to need a LOT of work but the potential was there-at least the paper work was there so as to be able to register and fly.But it was 1800miles away and my shop was 1 foot too short to get it inside so I passed.Would have been a LONG term project for sure. Still would have been pretty cool to fly out of the back yard. Talk about unhappy neighbors:p.
Yea it would have been a good project, was this helicopter in TN??? Would have been fun to get that 1820 running again.

waayfast

It came up for sale in North Texas in 2008. I could have got it home with the truck/trailer that I have but it would have been marginal to say the least.Just to many things going on here at the time to justify the purchase plus it would have taken up alot of time I didn't really have.I did some research about this style of helo--pretty cool flying machine.My one chance at owning a real warbird and I didn't go for it:evil:

Ewa Marine

UH-1H/Vs are all steered to the FMS program as all the countries that want cheap helos get a Huey II mod...

The OH-6s you are talking about are in the naval test center paint scheme....(red and white?) and are in DRMO? at MB, PA?

hmmmmmmmm

waayfast

Decodeme-
Cool pic! When I was doing the research on the HH34J I looked at a few clips on you tube----I'm sure that is the same restored heli I saw on you tube.
Jim

ptg530C

there is a guy in almont michigan that buys surplus helo's, rebuilds them and sells them. i have seen huey's and gunships at his place. i think the name is great lakes helicopters.

waayfast

Folks,
I would like to know if anyone here knows the whereabouts of this HH34J.
Strangely enough, it appears that I SHOULD have bought the dang thing afterall!!! Here it is years later, and my son is now flying Helos for hire and guess what his ride is for his first paying gig (other than the Robinsons for instructing)?
Yep--1820 Radial powered H-34! See!!! I knew I was on to something back in '08 LOL!!!!
This helo was sold on Ebay back in 2008. Was in Denton TX. Red River Search and Rescue owned it and because I opted to not hit the "buy it now" it went to a museum somewhere in California.
Again ---does anyone on here know this Choctaw or what ever happened to it? Possibly be for sale??
Thanks, Jim
P.S.--Sorry -been so long since I've been on here, forgot how it all works. The helo I'm looking for is the in the pics on post #41. HH34J, Serial 148936. (The yellow one)

Last edited:

NYC M923A2

I was just looking at GSA Auctions and saw a bunch of UH-60 Black Hawks forsale in Alabama. If you have a few hundred thousand laying around it might be an interesting piece if US Military hardware to own, and what a conversation piece it would be.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a bunch of CH-47s come out through GSA within the last year or so too. Many looked rough, but based the info in the auction (and the price) all looked air-worthy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks