• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for the owner of M422A1 SN 2043

saddamsnightmare

April 26th, 2009.

:?: Gentlemen:

A while back I heard from the owner of my 1961 USMC M422A1 who lives down in Philadelphia, Pa and still has the mite I sold him back in the 1980's or early 1990. The hood number was, I believe, USMC304575 or something near it. If anyone hears from him, direct him to me here at Steel Soldiers or at kfmcgroganathotmail.com, as I am looking for him.
This particular Mighty Mite was modified with longer front wheel bolts, as the original non "X"ers were prone to breakage through the cotter pin holes, which guaranteed you an interesting few seconds as you watched your wheel go on down the road ahead of you.
Thanks for the help,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

saddamsnightmare

May 11th, 2015.

I was very fond of that mighty mite, as it was the longer M422-A1 series, and was a ship commanders truck. When I sold it had a WWII Signal corps truck radio in a stand behind the seat. I also think I may have the smaller pintle hook for that particular truck in my parts bins..... The M422A1's were unusual machines, but much steadier in turns and more flexible then the later M151 MUTT.

dcmtfam

Shortly after we got the mite running in about 1997 one of the front wheel bolts let loose, you're correct that is an interesting few seconds as I watched the tire and rim and assorted parts go down the canyon. We retrieved it put in the X bolts and I have been enjoying it since. Just recently did a restoration with paint etc. everything on it works it is a ball to drive and it is about 90% back to original military.

saddamsnightmare

November 4th, 2016.

dcmtfarm:

I am glad that the truck found a good home with you. I may have the original pintle hook for it stashed around here somewhere. The pintle bracket was made to hinge up in a recess under the rear of the fuel tank and latch to the frame. When lowered down a long bolt held the bracket locked in the deployed position. Likely you may have noticed that the right rear wheel driveshaft CV joints have nylon bushings in them, as when those units let go about 1978, we could not then locate replacements, so we had to make them.

The other oddity was that I had the top tank vent hose, that crosses the recess in the top of the fuel tank fail... Some Marine didn't have the 5/8" (I think) hose clamps, so he substituted 1-1/4 radiator clamps with a whole roll of electrician's tape to take up the slack at either end. Ingenious, but it didn't work well, to say the least. The paint job was done in 1978 to cover the US Postal blue that Uncle had painted everything below the windshield in order to try to sell them to the civillians, which did't work, hence the CARC forest green and black lettering, which was the standard at that time in the USMC.;)

Have a Great Day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks