• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new G506?

DMgunn

On Saturday, a friend and I went to pick up my new truck. Some of you may remember the thread I started a few months ago regarding the M211s that were for sale at a local salvage yard for $200 / ton. Well, the same price applied to this truck, which I claimed on the spot - it came out to $520 total.

The motor is surprisingly clean, and does turn over, as my friend discovered while we were dragging it into the barn. It has a few body issues, but is mostly complete. The frame was stretched at some point, and that will have to be reversed.

I will make a positive ID this week, and find out the year of manufacture as well. This truck will not be a "correct" restoration, but will be a exxageration of its former self, while still convincing most people that it is stock.

Pics as soon as the camera battery finishes charging.

And yes, I realize this is not a CCKW. Anyone else think we need a 1-1/2 ton section?

DMgunn

Obviously the truck is going to need lots of help to reverse the changes made during its civilian life, but that is part of the beauty of it - I won't feel too guilty making it my own. The RH rear tire is only leaning because the other side is flat, and I was only able to get two decent pics before the battery died :roll:. I have always been a sucker for this body style, and couldn't stand to see this one go to the crusher - so now it will have its second (third?) life - unfortunately the other two trucks weren't so lucky....

Here are the first pics....

Attachments

mhassett

G506

Yours is a Chevy G506 1 1/2 ton 4x4.
I have the same thing.
Mine is in a bunch of pieces, but complete.
MHassett

WW2Chevy

Dmgunn,

Nice looking truck! Glad to hear you saved it from the crusher. I'm a few hours south of you. My truck and I are located in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Here is my truck (or what it looked like when I bought it...

front-left.jpg

BTW, there are a few other forums that see a little more CCKW and G506 traffic than this one does. You can check out:

ww2 Dodge Forum (includes a CCKW/G506 section), and...

The GMC CCKW Forum

Last edited:

WW2Chevy

I've thought about "repro"-ing the bed. I do a lot of CAD work, and have a few really good fab shops in town. I have to imagine that cost would be prohibitive. at least I'm centrally located, and could ship to either coast. :wink:

WW2Chevy

The rolling chassis and bed are at a local welding shop, having some repairs done on the box, and some of the scabbed reinforcements removed from the frame, escecially near the winch extensions. The cab, motor and transmission are in my garage. I am currently working on the transmission. I have it all dissassembled and cleaned up. Unfortunately I discovered a crack and missing chunk from the top corner of the transmission housing. I'm going to see if the same welding shop mentioned above can weld it up for me, so I can retap the hole. Alternatively, I'll over bore the hole, and heli-coil it.

I've put tother a few drawings of parts that my truck was missing, or that I knew otheres were missing. I've drawn up the mounting brackets for the tandem piston first series hydrovac. My truck should have one, but didn't. I've also drawn up the sheet metal juntion box that mounts to the firewall. I also plan on drawing up the winch bumper. You can see that mine is really rough, so I'll be replacing it.

I also want to draw up the tailgate so I can have one fabbed. I can have one made for about what the shipping would cost from VehiclesofVictory.com

A buddy in Omaha (40 minutes northeast of here) is restoring one to. He's actually further along than I am. He is in the process of re-assembling his frame and running gear. He completely stripped it bare, and is bolting all of his restored parts back on it now...

Always interested in parts, particularly if you have any of these:

floor board
drivers side lower inside fender
interior rearview mirror bracket
fan shroud
transmission case (if the repair I mentioned doesn't work).

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I saw one of these years ago at a vehicle show at a local transportation museum here in St. Louis, MO. It was a dumptruck, while not perfectly restored more like a motor pool type, it was fantastic. The owner was headed to a Red Ball reenactment in France.

DMgunn

WW2Chevy - Thanks for the links - I've been researching these trucks on-and-off for a few years now, but haven't got as much info as I'd like - the Dodge site is new to me. Nice to see some of these in the midwest.

WW2Chevy

I am G.E. Rork at Horton
Hey, it's good to hear from you again! I thought it might be you. Do you still have the 2-1/2 ton truck that you bought for tires?

I seem to remember it had some kind of huge contraption on the back??

BTW, parts I'm still looking for include:

floor board
left hand inner fender (lower louvered piece, between tire and engine)
fan shroud

Do you happen to have any of these available??

DMgunn

Hey, it's good to hear from you again! I thought it might be you. Do you still have the 2-1/2 ton truck that you bought for tires?

I seem to remember it had some kind of huge contraption on the back??

BTW, parts I'm still looking for include:

floor board
left hand inner fender (lower louvered piece, between tire and engine)
fan shroud

Do you happen to have any of these available??
Have you checked these guys?

GMC-CCKW Parts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks