• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hope GL is watching this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't think that GL only profits from the 10% BP. I contracted with a local auction house today to sell some machine tools for the co I work. They also have a BP of 10%. The seller premium is 35%!!!!! We only get 65 cents on the dollar, and then the auction house gets another 10 cents from the buyer. This appears to be the norm in the auction world. But they have 10+ employees and 5 acres with 30,000 sf of buildings, so you can see that they would need that kind of $$ to stay in business.

2deuce

I have never had a problem with anything I bought with them. I have taken chances and paid too much for a rusty truck before. While their descriptions are short they only state facts they won't mention rust or degrees of it. For instance in an auction going on now they say "no sound when start button is pushed". That could mean many things and you can read stuff into that that could get you into trouble even with an inspection on site. I believe they want their descriptions to be accurate because if they aren't and can't be trusted, bids will always stay low. I think bidding up here in the NW has been higher than many other sites because of this very reason. Accurate descriptions will bring in higher profits in the long run. GL shouldn't want to scare newbie bidders and non-inspecting bidders from bidding, but I do sometimes wonder if dealers and others don't trash GL trying to keep potential bidders from taking the plunge and running up their lots. I'm not saying this is happening, but I do think it could be possible. The bottom line is do what most here advise ... do an inspection, don't assume anything from the pictures or description.
Let capitalism work for you. As prices rise what you have already bought will be worth more also.

KsM715

Guys your missing the point of this thread. Heres what Im trying to get at, if they've already gone thru the process of lotting the stuff and taking pictures and all that just to put it online and know its not going to bring the minimum bid, whats the point, thats wasted money. Just take the stuff and throw it in a big scrap metal pile to begin with. I just hate see stuff that could be usefull get "thrown away" just because they want to make a few more bucks. If GL is watching their sales history and they know that certain stuff doesnt bring the minimum, why put a minimun on it? I believe its so they can say they offered it up for auction, it didnt sell, now they can do what they want with it. Either put it in a gigantic scrap metal lot that us "little"guys will never be able to get. Or for the regular surplus items they can now offer them in their retail sales.

mf5129

.my biggest problem with gl is forklift damage that is undisclosed. and any missing parts.they hardly show photos of floors and underneath.i dont need photos of data plates or milage.and repetive photos. i want to see damage and missing parts.it would help more in the long run.and i might be willing to buy more.this fee for a sf97 isnt helping them either.

Silverback

I have been buying for several years, the jump to the 150 minimum didn't make a lot of sense to me, especially with some of the items offered in the lots. I buy mainly for resale, so I'm always on the lookout for bargains which are becoming scarcer by the minute. I'm still buying from them, not as often as I was because of the minimum and quantities.
There is no way they are surviving on a 10% margin, not possible, no way. They have to be making at least 45%, to be profitable they should really be at 53%. if you are upset over the profits that GL is making then you would really scram if you knew what you were paying for groceries, or retail auto parts, furniture is way out there as are mattreses. I have owned my own business, actually a couple of them, I have always tried to treat people the way I want to be treated, maybe why some people thought I wasn't as successful as they thought I should be. I've always been able to sleep at night, never had to declare bankruptcy, actually sold a couple of business's and watch the people that bought them run them into the ground due to greed.

Enough about me, while I don't agree with everything GL does, I know the only control I have is not to buy if the price is higher than I'm willing to pay. I have complained to them directly, doesn't do a lot of good. Just my two cents.

hdexpert

I understand how everyone feels about GL. I've had my issues and run ins with them, but I continue to buy nonetheless as I always make money on my purchases. The key for me is previewing. I'm at Creekside at least once a week, and I know most employees on a first name basis. Does it suck that the minimum bid for everything is $150? Yes. But with all the newbs nowdays you could start a case of bottled water at $25 and it would end well over $150!!! I'm unemployed and the GL items I sell helps me keep my home so I'll keep buying as long as I can turn a profit!!

sandcobra164

KsM715,
Fancy seeing you start a thread a while back fussing about an auction site (GL OMG!!! WHO ARE THEY???? LET'S KEEP THE SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!) yet you are the "Auction Police" anytime you come across any info/thread posted about an auction. I understand the rules but I do get annoyed with your constant whining and fussing about auction threads and this thread just topped it all. WOW!!!!! is all I can say.

KsM715

:roll: :cookoo: Jeezes I thought this ended a few weeks ago.

I only speak up when the rules are broken, not when guys post legitemate discussion about auctions. If youd go back and look this is in the GL forum .

Last edited:

sandcobra164

If we're going strictly by the rules, cursing is prohibited on this family friendly forum as well. I'm just pointing out that you seem to be riding both sides of the fence on this auction business. I'm sure the GL ad money helps with the site and I'm sure some people may have had to pay more at auction due to an auction being broadcast. The ad that really got my attention was the truck slammed on tiny wheels. That truck would not have likely been of any interest to the group here other than fodder to pick fun at. Apply to be a mod, I believe they need some help or just look past post's like that and for goodness sake don't have you're own thread about buying stuff at auction/GL auction unfair prices/practices. Of course, no disrespect intended, I'm just saying pick one side of this auction business. I know plenty of people that watch these auctions, myself included, and I'm the only one of that group that is on SS. Heck, I'd rather get beat by an SS member who hopeful has an interest in the hobby and will care for the item than a flipper who cares nothing about what he does or does not win at auction.

KsM715

Look, Go back and read all my posts about this. Its not an auction thing its a rule thing. In my explanation of the rules I know it seems like Im trying to just keep things quiet. I'm not. I speak up because That rule is a pet peave of mine, I've made that known. It bothers me, just like me posting up about it bothers you, so now you feel you have to say something about it.

Since clinto made it clear 3-4 weeks ago that this auction stuff will stop or people will get banned there hasnt been one post about an active auction that I have seen. And the site has been much more enjoyable to visit without all the bickering. Why are you bringing this up on a post I made over a year and a half ago? Let it go. Its done and over with.

Edit: there I went and edited out my asterisk for you.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

The post was brought up by others. That's how I found it. The only rule that you try to enforce concern post's on auctions which is why I suggested you apply to become a moderator/Auction Police. There have been threads about auction/CL items in the past month. And you have this thread fussing about minimum bids on auctions and you target threads on anyone who has found an auction. You make some valid points about why one would not like info posted about an auction, I made valid points as to how it's on the internet and readily accessible information for anyone who care's to look for it. Perhaps I'm a young guy that has grown up alongside computer's and the information that can be gained by having knowledge available readily on these systems. I just don't think that jumping on every thread that involves an auction or CL or Ebay ad is the responsibility of a regular member. We have an excellent group of Moderators, I met quite a few at the GA Rally this past year.

velociT

Since clinto made it clear 3-4 weeks ago that this auction stuff will stop or people will get banned there hasnt been one post about an active auction that I have seen. And the site has been much more enjoyable to visit without all the bickering.
100% Agree.

It's not fun and games. It's usually a couple grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks