• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

Monkeyboyarmy

Got some other things straightened around on mine down at Ty's last week and drove it down the road.Got it to shift OK.Mine should be here by the weekend (fingers are crossed).Need wheel CTIS parts.Interested in the 6 speed Allison swap.Is it overdrive?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with CRUZINZ28 (Jesse). He has some of the CTIS parts. Do you still need me to measure the dipstick on my truck? Sorry for the delay.

Nightvision

Double overdrive .71 5th .61 6th . Motor will run at 1750rpm @ 55Mph

Which CTIS parts are you looking for.

Machining some wheel valves now. Also working on CTIS Axels for 2.5 and 5 ton rockwells.

JR

Monkeyboyarmy

Hey Bruce.Yep still need the info.I would like to make something up as soon as it arrives.I have to change the the trans filters anyway.Whenever you get to it would be great.

JR. Is that the 1000 series Allison? If it is an easy retro,alot of people are going to want them.I need everything wheel side,regulator valves,counterweights and covers.I am looking for 1 regulator valve so that I can make the others.Got more cnc time than money right now.I also have a prototype deuce CTIS axle (hubs are painted white) if you need any info about them.

Nightvision

2000 series Allison . Same beast as 1000 but can handle more torque.

Transmission easy swap. Electronics another matter. Should be done in a month or 2. Will keep everyone posted. Kit will run around 5-6K Includes Transmission, Torque converter, wiring harness and TCM (computer).

Would love to see the axel and hub.

Are you converting a truck or do you have an A3

JR

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Monkeyboyarmy

Yep.Thanks for that info.But I still need dimensions of where the add and full marks are and i would like to duplicate the original as far as the bent zig-zag pattern.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it, as I think you'll have trouble finding someone to send you their dipstick, but that would be the best way to replicate it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option...take your truck to Allison and have them fabricate one for you. They fabricated a filler tube for me since the M939A2 transmissions have a different filler tube than the other M939 series trucks. Parts availability is what makes an M939A2 a b**** and it seems as if it is the same with the M35A3s (at least on parts specific to those trucks).

Tranham

I am waiting to help pick one that my Dad bought. They much rarer/valuable truck (only 5,400 made) compared to the a2s and prices should go up once the government runs out. I like all the upgrades with the exception of CTIS and only because it has been proven unreliable. I have some concerns about finding replacement tires and other parts in the future. I don't think its ugly, but that is just an opinion.

We starting getting rid of manual transmissions (except on tracter trailers) at UPS almost 10 years ago. The long run costs ran much higher than automatics in our package cars. I have broke down 5 times on the road due to manual transmissions. Never with automatic issue yet.

Robert

EdMontana

I am seeking other A3 owners for parts swapping and technical info.

John R.

Hello,

I think the time is right, I have being so busy with my business since last Nov. that I have done nothing on my 4 M35A3's but I will get some time off to work on them this summer.

Currently I have one 1999 A3 (second 99, sold first one) that is perfect, one 1993 A3 w/winch that I need replace the parking brake cable and everything else is fine, one 1993 A3C that runs only on reverse (for now)......LOL, and one 1993 A3C that has the starter cables disconnected....if the engine is bad I may will make it a parts truck.

About the CTIS, the company that made it still alive and well...you can get parts direct and the owner is very helpful.

I will change the radiator on my 5 TON Dump truck tomorrow, alone, that should be fun for a start!

Anyway, the idea is great, I wish more A3 owners would shine and we can swap some info about those trucks as well.

Regards,

Ed

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think M35A3s are supposed to be included in the deuce forum. There is no separate forum for M939 series trucks or M809 series trucks. They are all included under 5 ton and up.

EdMontana

I think M35A3s are supposed to be included in the deuce forum. There is no separate forum for M939 series trucks or M809 series trucks. They are all included under 5 ton and up.
The reason of need for a separation is that most of the A2 Deuce forum guys don't like the A3's. If we have a dedicated A3 Forum only, will not be the case of a juvenile go there to call it butt ugly. Besides......it does not have a whole lot to do with A2's anyway but be a 2 1/2 TON.

Pickleskipper

Hi all. I am anxiously awaiting my A3c from Ft. Rucker. Once it arrives I will post pictures and am sure that I will be online with you guys with a few questions. This truck is my jump into this hobby and I can't wait to see it.

For those you you who have A3's, have any of you installed the larger tires in order to get more speed out of them? I was wondering what size tire you can take them to without modifications and what that equates to as far as speed down the road? My ranch is about 75 miles away and it would be nice if I could cut down on the time a little when I take the A3.

Also, mine is missing the cargo cover. Will an A2's canvas cover go on to the A3's? Where is the best place to find a cover for it?

Thanks guys... Looking forward to making some new friends with the same interests.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks