• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

Nightvision

Bigger tires ??!! If it's got 14.5R20s you have 43"+/- unloaded radius. It leaves about 4 inches between the rear tires. Bigger is not a safe option. Slinging 280lbs. at 50 mph will cause tires to expand another 1" + . I've seen mine do it on the dyno. When running @ full speed , gap is about 1.5" between rears.
If you just spent the 6$-8$k to purchase truck, it sounds like you got the money to burn, do it right - replace the transmission.
I'll have 6 speed kits ready in 3-6 months. I have 5 speed kits available now. They sell for 5$-6$K complete.
Here's your gear ratio's for the AT1545.
1st 3.45:1
2nd 2.25:1
3rd 1.41:1
4th 1.00:1
Reverse 5.02:1
Rockwell 2.5ton axel ratio 6.72:1 There is no know convertions for this axel.
Go to this link for drive train calculations.
http://www.f-body.org/gears/

JR

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Dont forget to advance the timeing when you turn up the fuel..Good for 50hp...safely...
Its like a corvette to 55 mph...!...
Take your rig to the local cat dealer...Some of the old farts really know the 3116's...and can make them run like a scolded cat!...
Kevin..

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Its easer to just add a Mitchell 3000-A gear splitter (overdrive/direct) giving a top speed of over 60 MPH, although the main reason for the overdrive is to reduce engine RPM for normal 55 MPH driving. check out Eric's site, he installed one..Thats what i would do..

Kevin..

ClarkeF

John,

I just bought one on GL. Waiting on the EUC clearance but have been researching transmission options. Can you talk a bit more about your 6-speed conversion?

Cheers,

Clarke

I am seeking other A3 owners for parts swapping and technical info.

Currently upgrading to Allison 6 speed auto on one of my trucks.
Also bumped Cat 3116 output to 220HP on same truck.
Thanks

John R.

Dustyh

Hey guys, we did away with the CTIS on our truck so I have 7 valves, covers and counter weights if anyone is interested. We also have cargo cover and troop seats both in good condition. Send me an email if interested.

Last edited:

BigWill1276

Hey Fellas, I'm patiently waiting for my M35A3 from South Carolina. It's only been four weeks since the win, and three weeks since the EUC was sent to Battle Creek. Keep up the postings, watching to see how to make it the perfect truck ever.

EXITNOONE

add me to the list of A3 owners.

would be great to have a specialized A3 section within steel soldiers which carries full tech tips & info... and which the A2 guys respect. over time, our select group of A3'ers will be the envy of the mv world. unless somebody ever comes up with a bobbed hemtt.

BIGWILL- i'm right there with you in the waiting game....

NIGHTVISION- i bet we're all interested in more hp with the 3116. can you elaborate on the improved performance you are experiencing? sounds like i need to find a local cat technician and get mine tuned also.

most of what i've read from the A2 guys, and on other diesel sites suggest upping the 3116 hp will cause it to blow up prematurely.

the allison 1545 is also only rated to 235 hp.

does your allison seem to handle the added hp without any problems ?

don't worry, i'm not the guy at the pool who warns everyone not to swim until an hour after eating, i just want to be sure we're all keeping our A3's in top condition with any improvements we come up with on the forum. and full discussion will help for all of us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks