• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hearing Protection - An often overlooked safety concern

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a **lot** of new members lately and I know everyone tries to keep safety in mind.

A lot of new members are pretty safety aware as far as the obvious: "Don't get under the vehicle while it's runnin", "Check your brakes", "Check your lugs before driving" etc.

I was searching for threads about the comm systems different people use in their vehicles which brought a link to this site up. Noise Levels

It is a listing of the different noise levels of our vehicles at different operating levels.

Please remember to protect your hearing. Hearling loss cannot be fixed.

KsM715

I wish someone had pushed hearing protection when I was younger. We used to go out shooting all the time and never wore hearing protection and Im paying for it now. You might think that the loud noise is tolerable but it IS doing damage even if it doesnt hurt.

Im only 36 and it sucks when sometimes all you hear sounds like people are just mumbling to you and you have to ask them to speak up and they look at you funny. And the off and on ringing in your ears will get annoying and a constant reminder that your getting older:cry:

waayfast

Oh man, did you ever hit a raw nerve!! I have severe hearing loss due to the measles when I was a pup. Hearing loss is a SUPREME PITA.If you are in a conversation and cant hear all that is being said then you must ask the other participant to repeat--miss it again( or again and again) and the pissed off/animosity comes out real quick!People NEVER seem to get it--they just get PO'd. Hey,I'm not stupid--I simply didn't hear you and no I didn't give myself the measles at the age of two on purpose just so I could piss you off today.
OR if you decide that "well I think? I know what he said" (and don't) and give an inappropriate answer--you come across to them (and everyone else spectating) as a complete dumass.
OR if they are talking to you and you miss it (dont hear what he's saying for sure but I think he's maybe not addressing ME so I won't bother to respond) NOW you are an arrogant A-hole for ignoring him!
This happens often enough and pretty soon being around people is such an exhausting PITA that ain't worth it so you tend to shy away from social functions (and people in general).
And dating?? Well lottsa luck with that!Dating=going out to social function-usually in high noise environment(club)trying to impress little sweetie by asking her to repeat constantly then giving inappropriate response"Oh, whoops! You were simply saying you had a restored FIRE TRUCK --I thought she said she was to tired to XXXX!
Then what's really maddening is you can explain this to people ALL day long and they just don't get it ----UNTIL they have a hearing loss--then they get it! But by then it's too late because hearing loss is generally NOT reversible! And most all health insurance plan SPECIFICALY exempt coverage for the purchase of hearing aids!
Had a buddy in highschool that always thought I was blowing this way out of porportion.Then he went to work in the woods driving skid cat,running chainsaws ETC for about 20 years--Hearing protection!??? WTF why that's fer weenies!! Real loggers don't use no sissy-ass ear plugs!!---HHMMM well guess what folks!
We often see warnings about taking care of our hearing but we never see the REASON to protect from an "in the trenches point of view.Just my 2 cents worth! (well this rant looks like it got into about the $2.50 range)
Jim

mdog

What? Say that again. Huh? Raining tunafish. Oh, ranting 2.50. Yea, I know where you are coming from. Its not fair because I did not turn my stereo up as loud as other people did. Must have been from John Deere.

Chevytruck

Oh man, did you ever hit a raw nerve!! I have severe hearing loss due to the measles when I was a pup. Hearing loss is a SUPREME PITA.If you are in a conversation and cant hear all that is being said then you must ask the other participant to repeat--miss it again( or again and again) and the pissed off/animosity comes out real quick!People NEVER seem to get it--they just get PO'd. Hey,I'm not stupid--I simply didn't hear you and no I didn't give myself the measles at the age of two on purpose just so I could piss you off today.
OR if you decide that "well I think? I know what he said" (and don't) and give an inappropriate answer--you come across to them (and everyone else spectating) as a complete dumass.
OR if they are talking to you and you miss it (dont hear what he's saying for sure but I think he's maybe not addressing ME so I won't bother to respond) NOW you are an arrogant A-hole for ignoring him!
This happens often enough and pretty soon being around people is such an exhausting PITA that ain't worth it so you tend to shy away from social functions (and people in general).
And dating?? Well lottsa luck with that!Dating=going out to social function-usually in high noise environment(club)trying to impress little sweetie by asking her to repeat constantly then giving inappropriate response"Oh, whoops! You were simply saying you had a restored FIRE TRUCK --I thought she said she was to tired to XXXX!
Then what's really maddening is you can explain this to people ALL day long and they just don't get it ----UNTIL they have a hearing loss--then they get it! But by then it's too late because hearing loss is generally NOT reversible! And most all health insurance plan SPECIFICALY exempt coverage for the purchase of hearing aids!
Had a buddy in highschool that always thought I was blowing this way out of porportion.Then he went to work in the woods driving skid cat,running chainsaws ETC for about 20 years--Hearing protection!??? WTF why that's fer weenies!! Real loggers don't use no sissy-ass ear plugs!!---HHMMM well guess what folks!
We often see warnings about taking care of our hearing but we never see the REASON to protect from an "in the trenches point of view.Just my 2 cents worth! (well this rant looks like it got into about the $2.50 range)
Jim

:ditto:

i know exactly how you feel...
i have a huge amount of my hearing loss gone due to genetics... and all that stuff above happens to me too!

no wonder i don't have a girlfriend.... :evil:

sixfeathers

Banned
what is a decent pair of ears covers? I still want to be able to hear traffic and emergency vehicles.. noise? Not all of it.. What would you all reommend for my boys hearing protection?

mcmullag

ear muffs

I use some Winchester-labled shootin ear muffs, headset thingy I got for cheap at Walmart. Hugely reduces noise and I could hear what my passenger was saying to me while driving down the highway. As far as listening for sirens, I just swivel my head around alot and check the mirrors alot, being proactive, looking for trouble, like a defensive driver should.

steelandcanvas

I use some Winchester-labled shootin ear muffs, headset thingy I got for cheap at Walmart. Hugely reduces noise and I could hear what my passenger was saying to me while driving down the highway. As far as listening for sirens, I just swivel my head around alot and check the mirrors alot, being proactive, looking for trouble, like a defensive driver should.
You hit the nail on the head, Glen.

rod

I picked up my duece today at Redstone and drove it 100 miles home. I wore the soft tan earplugs all the way home. You can still hear conversation and the sirens. They are great and I was albe to hear at dinner this evening and the ears were not ringing at all.

littlebob

Jim
Between the hearing loss from Riding M/C with loud exhaust, and riding
on long M/C trips with high wind noise and then figuire in the shooting
we did when younger without protection and don't forget the rock concerts, Its amazing I can hear at all. My hearing is not as good as used to be, but
I think some of the misunderstadings with with coworkers is thay have no manners. I have coworkers that come in to a room and ask a question without
addressing the indiviual they are asking the question of. If I don't hear my name, I don't hear the question.
littlebob

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I sit here reading this I have a constant remind of working around F-4Js and F-14As. Tinnitus (ringing) in ears and it never goes away.

In order to keep from getting any worse I bought two pair of the David Clark hearing protectors that the military uses and they are good. I use normal firearm hearing protection when I run my lawn mowers, when I'm running the Deuce it is the David Clarks. Excellent protection.

Capt'nChaos

As I sit here reading this I have a constant remind of working around F-4Js and F-14As. Tinnitus (ringing) in ears and it never goes away.

In order to keep from getting any worse I bought two pair of the David Clark hearing protectors that the military uses and they are good. I use normal firearm hearing protection when I run my lawn mowers, when I'm running the Deuce it is the David Clarks. Excellent protection.
Ditto here! I still have and use my initial issue David Clark ear defenders that I got in 1982. They kept my ears safe around the KC-135A & A-10s.

I also own 2 other pairs of DC's that I use and share with family members. I use 'em for shooting, mowing the lawn, and running the chainsaw. Now if I can just convince my 13 year-old that he doesn't need to listen to the iPod at volume setting 11.....

Numbers

Thanks for emphasizing the importance of hearing protection.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I use these and have for many months now. NRR is comparable, however, the price is far better at $9.99 than Clark's which are very nice but so expensive. These allow (semi) normal communication to be heard also.

Analog Sound Level Meter ($22.99) is next purchase (after Air Assist arrives in, on its way now) to test sound levels (at idle, speed, and under load) before and after insulation, muffler (Dynomax shorty), etc...

Some of my hearing loss came courtesy of 2000 pound bombs being dropped way off target at the bombing range in Vieques. Anyone that has spent time on that range knows how hazardous it is but also how beautiful the beaches are when nobody is around. Fishing is awesome after #### flies over and you don't even need a hook just a cast net...

Attachments

GoHot229

Well My Deuce has the Napa muffler and looks good with it. I, however, dont know how much difference it is without one, never having been in the cab of a non-muffler Deuce. But I'v read here on the form that there is quite a difference. I wonder what the Decible difference really is between the two?

Numbers

Well My Deuce has the Napa muffler and looks good with it. I, however, dont know how much difference it is without one, never having been in the cab of a non-muffler Deuce. But I'v read here on the form that there is quite a difference. I wonder what the Decible difference really is between the two?
If you can hear yourself think it did its job. I can't have a conversation until the vehicle is shut off. It's fairly cheap for an Analog Sound Level Meter ($22.99). Once all is said and done I should have a baseline for a soft cab, hard cab before any sound deadening mods are done. If you have a level for a NAPA muffler to add when work commences that will give people a solid idea to work off of to make the deuce more comfortable and give them choices without killing the originality/power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks