• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ether bottle - quick start

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a local dealer that had a can of ether starting fluid and knew what it was. It was a NAPA store that also deals with truckers a lot. In stock, for $42 a can. :shock: And it was ON SALE, regularly $65 a can.

I bought it, but one can of this stuff will probably last the lifetime of the truck, so it's not like I have to tank up with this often.

Was it too much, or was I just not schooled in how expensive the stuff really is?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wal Mart sells starting fluid , works the same to me. Cheap , few bucks a can .

Is what you got for the mount on a Duece or just to crank them ?
What I got is for the ether start kit on my deuce. Yeah, if I wanted starting fluid, it would have been a lot cheaper just to get that, but I had to complete the kit, I guess.

Damn hobby... :-D

$45/$65, did they think you were our Government? I have seen the shorter fatter, Coleman size, canisters for $22. I only used mine once this long cold winter, but I should find a spare. I am going to check the local truck stops.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my brooms has ether start. One day I'll strip it off. Sure don't need it here in S FLA.

ida34

One more thing, spraying Ether into the intake is not a precision operation. The quick start system provided a metered amount of fluid. Just enough to get the thing fired. It is actually quite a small amount actually used.

NEIOWA

Paid $24 for std cylider (LP torch size) at a Frtliner dealer about 2 months ago. You got screwed.

davesgmc

napa part # from thier web site, they dont sell much of the stuff and thier cost is high so they just pass it on to the consumers.

this is an 18 oz can
Part: BK 6053252

21 oz clyinder
Part: BK 6053274

hope this helps

Sumoman

Not to be stupid, ignorant, and a deuce newbie but has ANYONE drawn a diagram up or can tell me the tm for all the switches and gadgets. If I had any ether I would not have a clue how to use it.. therefore the zombies would eat me or I have to use starting fluid in the intake:cry:

Which would no be bad mind you, but I am trying to get it back to par.. The guard used a can of starting fluid so i am assuming it is empty. Being the visual learner I am a picture of the motor and a bright circle around the items would help:-D

I think the ether start system is controlled by a thermostat with a 20 degree setpoint, so if your motor is above 20 deg. you can't use it anyway.
If your truck does have the system there will be a switch on the lower left dash, instructions should be on a plackard by the switch.

dittle

The way it works (being below 20 degress like drgreg said) is that when you hold the switch over the metered chamber fills with ether. Once you have the engine cranking you hold the switch over to fill the chamber for a couple of seconds, then when you release the switch the chamber contents are dumped into the engine. To get more ether just repeat the hold/release sequence.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks