• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ether bottle - quick start

319cssb

Ether system

I got to get the ether bottle replaced. Is there a common part number and does it screw right in or do i have to make modifications?

Guyfang

Staff member
Bottles must be standard. In the early 70's, we got them packaged in CATERPILLER boxes, and later still, in some other big name company boxes.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottles must be standard. In the early 70's, we got them packaged in CATERPILLER boxes, and later still, in some other big name company boxes.
The 1 local truck parts store that stocks a few different styles and at least 2 different threads on them. And now Cat has their own system and their own style bottles.
Most equipment dealers around here quit stocking them a few years ago when they jacked up the hazmat fees on shipping .

319cssb

Yeah , what about refilling them? I wondered what the big issue with that is? Seems to have a standard valve.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah , what about refilling them? I wondered what the big issue with that is? Seems to have a standard valve.
Not really designed to refill. How much do you really need ether in South Carolina ? a new bottle should last a few years .
Are you sure it is empty ? You know it will only squirt with the engine cranking right ?

Ronmar

Not really designed to refill. How much do you really need ether in South Carolina ? a new bottle should last a few years .
Are you sure it is empty ? You know it will only squirt with the engine cranking right ?
And with the coolant in the bypass pipe below 32F since the last time the engine was above 88F...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the CAT Freightliner dealer in town for some other parts and needed a bottle for the 977 and they dont sell them anymore, he said all our trucks now have plenum heaters and they have no use for the Ether anymore and the last case they had finally ended up be thrown in the garbage?
Karl

319cssb

Good point porky
today i started the truck without ether. Took a bunch of cranks.
tomorrow ill try pushing that button for 3 secs wait 3 secs and then try to start the engine. See if it does any better.
But yes you are right, i dont know if it is indeed empty, for sure yet.

319cssb

When i push the ether start button. Dors it make a noise , like a hiss or so?
if it does then my bottle is empty, because i don't hear anything.
Master on, of couse and push the bomb button for 3 secs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks