• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m35a2 owner.

azM35a2

well i got the turbo free'd up, drained the old diesel and added new stuff, bled the air at the injector pump bleeder, but she just won't fire. i gave it a shot of ether (i know...i know), and it did the typical angry diesel noises (so it will fire), i'm assuming it's just not getting fuel. also i don't think the batterys are turning it fast enough...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the "71" in the serial number indicated the contract year, which may not necessarily be the same as the year of manufacture.
No. The "71" is accually in the registration number and indicates the date of manufacture. The truck (according to the data plate) was contracted in 1970 indicated by the "05" in the serial number.

AZ, First unscrew the bleeder on top of the secondary fuel filters and make sure you've got fuel there (with the power switch on). If that checks out ok take the cover off the IP where the fuel shutoff rod enters the IP and make sure your fuel shutoff isn't sticking (this is a common problem for trucks that have been sitting awhile).

azM35a2

anyone have pics of the bleeder or the fuel shutoff rod? i think i'm doing the right bleeder but i don't know where the fuel shutoff rod is.

azM35a2

i assume it's the little rod that has a cable connected to it going in to the engine stop lever? mine pulls in/out smoothly (visually), could it still be clogged inside?

dittle

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn on the power switch? If not, you will have a hard time getting it started the first time due to the fuel being bled out. Once you get the fuel system filled up it will start even if the fuel pump isn't working.

As far as all the questions about the s/n or date of mfg I got my info from guys who are active duty mechanics for the past 20+ years so they would know.

chicklin

No. The "71" is accually in the registration number and indicates the date of manufacture. The truck (according to the data plate) was contracted in 1970 indicated by the "05" in the serial number.

So, why is there a whole thread where you can post VIN's to figure out the year of your truck? Not saying you're not right, but why wouldn't people just look at the registration number?

dittle

So, why is there a whole thread where you can post VIN's to figure out the year of your truck? Not saying you're not right, but why wouldn't people just look at the registration number?

Carnac's thread tells you more about the documented service of the truck in addition to the year; which is a great service IMO.

chicklin

Carnac's thread tells you more about the documented service of the truck in addition to the year; which is a great service IMO.

Agreed, it is a great service, but the original point of it was to determine the year. As pointed out earlier in this thread, David Doyle wrote an article at some point explaining the VIN scheme and it was not as simple as looking at the s/n.

I am certainly no expert, I just know I've seen conflicting information about this topic and I'm inclined to lean towards the experts (ddoyle and carnac).

azM35a2

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn on the power switch? If not, you will have a hard time getting it started the first time due to the fuel being bled out. Once you get the fuel system filled up it will start even if the fuel pump isn't working.

As far as all the questions about the s/n or date of mfg I got my info from guys who are active duty mechanics for the past 20+ years so they would know.
fuel pump is working, as i had fuel coming out of the bleeder on the filters...

Jinx

You may need to get new batteries. The 24 volt system helps the starter turn over quickly. I was amazed that the starter turns over as fast as my gasoline car does. Any other 12 volt diesel tends to turn over slowly.

Also the diesel could be bad. Any idea how old the fuel is? Try adding fresh premium diesel and some diesel fuel conditioner. It probably wouldn't hurt to drain the primary fuel filter as well. It could be full of water. Just open the petcock on the bottom and drain out some of the fuel. It's the filter located in the front, under the passenger side of the bumper.

Just my $.02

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because that only works with trucks built between '68-'72. In '72 they went to the "NK" numbering system and that system doesn't have the year included. Another problem could be a wrong data plate. Notice I said "if the data plate is right". The registration number won't be found on the frame but you can usually hit the year by the s/n only.

All the info I have posted came from David Doyle's article.

scooter01922

Once you have taken the cover off to look at the shutoff lever you will understand how it could be stuck. You pull it one way to shut down but a spring returns it to run when you let off the cable, No way to reset it to run without pulling the cover if the spring is gummed up. Have you loosened the injector lines and cranked till you got good fuel flow there??? Air in the lines will get ya every time. All that being said it could be other things, i still haven't gotten my new m35a1 running quite right yet.

azM35a2

well thats another issue...i can't get it to crank for more than.... 6 seconds? at a decent rate then it kills most battery's!!! even the battery's out of my powerstroke couldn't handle it.

scooter01922

That is NOT normal. I was cranking the A1 in 30 second increments for prob a total of 5 min or more. Obviously letting it cool a bit between attempts. It takes some serious power to crank a deuce but i would think the batts from your truck would suffice. It has to be warm there so i would think you would be golden with a new set from walmart or someplace similar. Just grab the biggest ones they have on the shelf, usually something in the 700 CCA range. A pair of those ought do fine. Otherwise find a friend with a deuce and hook up to the slave port.

dittle

Does the starter sound like its straining to turn the truck over? Might be a weak starter or an engine that has some internal issues. When you drained the oil did you check to see if you had any metal filings in it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks