• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

West Central Fl Trip

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

The Unimog is back in action, just got back from a test drive (11:50PM) and its runing great. So if you guys need help, shoot me a PM with your number and I'll shoot you mine back. I'll be up late, and up early.

SixSpeed

Banned
We are alive! I'm sure others will chime in, and I know some pictures were taken.

Recovery went well I think...drove around for a while looking for the area the trucks were in. Pulling out the Deuce was pretty straightforward. The Deuce pulled it from the adjacent trail with a 100 yard chain. I have to say, the pulling power of a Deuce is pretty phenomenal. The Unimog pulled it the rest of the way down the trail.

Then the skies opened up once again, rained pretty good for the next few hours. Trying to figure out how the hell we were going to get to the Pinzgauer took a while. Spent well over an hour looking for an alternate route to get to it. Since the path the Pinzgauer had taken to get where it was stuck was now several feet deep, over the intake on the Unimog.

We finally found the other end of the trail that the Pinz was stuck on. It was a ways down the trail. I did my best to get to where the Pinz was stuck. The water was seriously deep and with roots on the bottom, it made it really tough. DC3 claimed it "wasnt that deep", I beg to differ, haha. The poor Pinzgauer was seriously sunk. I got close enough to get a chain on the Pinzgauer, but by then I could hardly move myself, so we hooked the Deuce, which was still on useable ground, to the Unimog and pulled the Pinzgauer out of the hole.

The Deuce went ahead and I pulled the Pinz (Wouldn't start, to wet) along for a while. That was until the ghetto rigged fan clutch on the Unimog gave up and it overheated. So we were both pulled the rest of the way out of the trail by the Deuce. After some TLC on the Pinzgauer, and the Unimog some time to cool off, we were back in business. My drive home went really well, I hope everyone elses went smoothly after we split off!

Attachments

garydee

"sorry i know it has nothing to do with it. but i love the "bubba and sons tree removal" clip"

I also think the “Babba & Sons” is interesting, but please state that this in not in a State or National Forest – this is just the kind on video that can make a statement to the “greenies” to close the forests for all vehicular traffic. It’s the whole “tread lightly” thing….

This video in the wrong hands could do more damage for our hobby (off-roading and “big truck” usage) than good.

dc3coyote

Well I am out of the cyprus swamp!!!! What can be better than 6wheeling where Bear Grylls says is the worst spot on earth? Getting stuck there!!! Only in Fl, can you be trying to swim to your truck and cross paths with a 4 foot gator "not kidding" I was in the water over my waiste so I left my camera and gun in the tow rig. After hiking/ swimming to my truck I got there to see that everything that was bolted down or not able to float away was still there, even the Hi Lift and all my chain. I win this time rednecks who steal from stuck trucks!!! After giving a quick assessment to my Pinz I decided it was still stuck.

After checking on everything, and trying to start it one more time. I took one of my loud speakers and a Axe "incase I meet another gator, its dinner time" Walking through the woods blowing my horn on the loudspeaker every few seconds so the other trucks can hear me. Walking through the woods blowing the horn I did start to appreciate the fact its not hunting season. I came across my buddy who was walking ahead of the tow Duece checking the trail to make sure it will not get stuck. After he found me, it took only a few minutes to walk back with the Mog and Duece following behind "I had to walk so I could see my trail markers and foot prints."

We got to my truck and hooked the chain from my truck to the Unimog, while my buddies hooked the chain from the M35 to the Unimog. Sixspeed drug me a good ways until the ruts started working on his truck so the Duece took over. When I got out of the water I watched about 4 gallons of water pour out of my exhaust. After it drained out the truck turned over a few times but would only run with the starter button held down, that made me think the seal on the Dist was faulty, and it was. " the truck ran better after it spent a night in the woods than before, I must of had water in there for a while since most of my wheeling is done in water.

Things I learned
1. I am a idiot, dont follow me unless your an idiot as well
2. Hi lift jacks do have a breaking point I need to replace some parts on mine now, but it is now my best friend off road.
3. I need some Marston Matting or something similar
4. Steel Soldiers do come through when you need them, Thanks alot SixSpeed, I will be going back up there after I get the oil changed.
5. The m35 can go through some serious stuff when your not worried about scratching your paint

All right thats enough for now, There are over 500 pics taken I will post them when I get them since they are on my buddies camera.

Branan

exxon

glad you guys made it. Sorry I had to get out of there before the water rose too high for my stocker Jeep. I was the one that was helping on the high-lift chain and the Pinzgauer. We almost rolled the YJ trying to get back there when we tried winching it out with Crafty's jeep. That was some pretty fun and intense stuff. I would've been there the next day if I didn't have to work the ambulances. My brother was telling me that the trail to the right was all sand bottom, probably wouldn't have gotten stuck on that one. Thanks for joining us and thanks for the good times! After all that and hanging around TJ, I gotta get me a duece, if so my truck would've been three's company at the sleep over in Richloam. Got any more pics of the event?

Exxon,

Last edited:

tjcouch

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLO9n-XoYaM&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9ZoLa09Zk&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6QCuUhmCY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

dc3coyote

OK its time again.....I got a few days off so I plan to go camping in Richloam for a few days. Mouse will be in Kansas "fort Riley". Six Speed will most likeley be there too, so lets make it a trip I know its real last minute, but I just started making plans last night.

I figure its a good time to go, Hot mosquitos, possible storms, nice.
Well if anyone is interested in getting some wheeling time in let me know
Branan 727 967 8142

dc3coyote

I think we can find space for ya. But getting video of the Stang burried in a mud puddle would be great. The plan is to leave on Fri morning Early....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks