• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humber Pig APC

m5040

I have one and think it is nice, seems to put the Dodge peace keeper to shame. Will be better with a Cummins in it

jbingvtx

I have one and think it is nice, seems to put the Dodge peace keeper to shame. Will be better with a Cummins in it
I had forgotten the peacekeeper. I lived in Wyoming and the AF missile site security had them...and hated them. Where did they go? Surplussed? or recycled?

m5040

The peacekeeper is very desireable (=expensive). I compared it to the Humber before I bought one. The Dodge has 1/4 " single armor, the Humber has 3/8" and two layers on the sides, the windshield area is almost 1" thick. and it goes on from there...... But if you find a peacekeeper for resonable money, buy it!

B3.3T

The 1/4" inch armor on a Peacekeeper is a very high grade alloy that is very effective in stopping virtually anything up to 30.06AP. It is superior to what is used on the earlier V-100's. The windows are almost 3" thick and equal to the other armor. Overall, it is easily equal to the heavier Pig in protection and almost half the weight. Get a Pig anywhere off pavement and you learn where the name came from. Trying to keep one running is another. The Peacekeeper, with its Mopar 361, is reliable and 4x4. They served the USAF well and hundreds of SWAT teams are glad to have one. Can't imagine how in any way it is shamed by a Pig?

l1a1man

I hated the PK's. Always had this vision of dying in one. They were not very fun to use. Hate to say, I have seen a 7.62 burn through one. They did handle very, very poorly. Never saw one with AC and I know our heaters barley worked in the winter.

Last edited:

jbingvtx

What I remember is that they were powered by a 318ci mopar. The guys I talked to said that they would overheat if they turned on the air conditioner, they always rode around with the doors locked open and the gun hatch open. They also complained that they handled very bad on dirt roads and were helpless off road. I always thought they looked tough and even if they were underpowered and unreliable, I would like to have one.

kcimb

When I was shopping in England for toys I asked about a Pig, my supplier told me he wouldn't sell me one. He liked his reputation too much.

Could you elaborate?

The b60 is a fairly good engine. Yeah, it doesn't do too well offroad, but 14000 pounds over 4 wheels won't.

I'm interested in one because it's a fairly simple vehicle and has more room than a ferret...

m5040

Humber vs Peace keeper

Some of my thoughts on the subject and why I went with the Humber.
1. although it was said the Peace Keeper (PK) windshield is 3 in thick and as good as the armor, it has to be replaced each time it is shot at and hit. the pig has heavy hydraulic drop down armor with a small BP glass, that if it was shot and you had no replacement, it can be remove with min exposure to the crew,,,, compared to PK where you need the backing of the US to supply new glass.
2. The Dodge you either have the side door opened wide, or completely closed (no opening side window), the pig has a normal opening upper side door which is same size as a normal truck window, along with a BP side viewport - (PK only has viewport).
3. The pig has an upper rear horzontal door, about 12" in height that can be opened to allow for a protected (by the lower double doors) broad field of fire that just about any weapon can be used from.
4.The pig has 20" (rim size) combat tires, the PK has 16"
5. The pig has substantial pistol ports in the sides armor, 2 each side , the PK has small holes.
6.Pig has two upper hatches, PK only has one (but has ringmout gun).
7. Pig has extensive history used in urban combat situations, PK only has Air Force security history. Not to belittle the PK here, but the Pig realy has been though a lot in places like Northern Ireland. Items like the ugly front bumpers to push through man made baricades, armored ventalation fans (2or4).
8. The pig engine has waterproof ignition
9. The PK is owned by the US military, and I have read has the right to take it back (after you paid dearly for it). Some were exported from the manufacturer and would not fall under this. I have read that none were legally sold from the US gov.
The Pk does have power steering (a great feature) and AC that reportedly doesn't work well.
The pig is very advanced for its age, it has 4 wheel independent suspension. It is extremely hard to get parts for. I am thinking about mounting it on a dodge cummins chassis. Do to the value of a PK, you would be foolish to molest it.

Stalwart

Could you elaborate?

The b60 is a fairly good engine. Yeah, it doesn't do too well offroad, but 14000 pounds over 4 wheels won't.

I'm interested in one because it's a fairly simple vehicle and has more room than a ferret...
He told me that they were just too heavy for their running gear and because of that prone to breakage. The B60 isn't a problem, but it is grossly under powered for a vehicle that weighs almost twice that of a Ferret. He also explained they weren't great to work on but not quite as bad as the Saracen.

In short, he didn't want to sell me something that I'd regret in the future.

B3.3T

1. Of course you have to replace ANY glass once it has taken hits. ??
4. And this makes what different for a road vehicle? Neither was designed for off road.
5. PK has 3" openings on all four sides. Small holes???
7. Yes, extensive history of troops hating it, too.
8. PK does as as well.
9. Advanced suspension if overly complex and overly loaded is hardly a plus.

You can justify buying anything, but as Stalwart has stated, beware of what you wish.

m5040

The pig is a interesting, affordable, fairly comfortable armored vehicle. I look at it as an antique collector vehicle that will be good to have around if to much hope and change happens. Sould the SHTF I think the windshields are too large, where will you get one when once it gets shot at and is all spalled?
Having a picture of a V100 I would think you see the value in tire size and the ability for larger diameter tires to climb obsticals.
3" openings are too small to use with rifles like M4 M16 AK47
The suspension doesnt appear to be over loaded in the least, the weakpoint was in the axle shafts. The 1953 technology is like our current military vehicles.
I have seen complete driving Humbers for $13000, the only peacekeeper I have had the chance to buy was $25000 for a junk yard stripped vehicle with the cadaloy armor doors missing etc. Just my opinion

wgtactical

It’s important to remember that unless you are buying an armored vehicle like the Bearcat, you are going to find lot's of problems with the design. I had looked at the peacekeeper as well and decided that if I had ever found one, I would have only used the body. I did end up finding a V100 though, and ended up using only the axles and hull on it. In short, I’ve really not been that impressed with any vehicle that I’ve come across. Even the new 2010 van I just bought the company is just about in pieces right now in the process of being upgraded, and it only has 11 miles on it. I guess I am just too extreme that way :p

Basically if you find yourself an armored vehicle that you can afford, and like what you see for whatever reason…that is probably the best vehicle there is for you. Let’s face it, nobody has the time it takes to really wear one of these vehicles out anyway. And even if you did, you are probably not going to beat the crap out of it while you are playing with it :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks