• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experimental 5/4t? - XM705

rhinob

Cool Den! Plan to put her back into original configuration with the 307 V-8? Love to come up and take a good look at it sometime...
Hey Mike! I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do. I'll start with some batteries, new fuel and oil, maybe an engine oil filter (spec said it's 2 quarts capacity!). Anyway, I'll get it to the werks and figure it out. Come on over. We'll have lunch too - on me!

rhinob

So it's home now. Sprayed the dust off, but by no means have really cleaned it up. What next? I'll put a couple batteries in it, clean fuel supply, dump and fill the oil. See what she does. That hood sure looks like a predecessor to the HMMWV hood. Looking out over it from the driver's position, and the interior, really gives the feel of a more modern truck. Probably would look great in tan CARC. 9.00x20's currently on it. Maybe some Michelin XZ's are in order….but where to find them near Maryland...

Attachments

Last edited:

rhinob

Great looking truck! It would be nice to get them back together for a photo opp.
It would, but we're quite a ways away from each other!

So I get this email from a friend that says, "There's a guy in my neighborhood with a truck like that." Whaaaaat!? So here's what he found….a restored M715. Pretty observant guy for not being into military vehicles at all….

Hoping to find some tires for this thing soon. I'm going to consider my 10.5x20 NATO's for this, although they're a little wider. Would prefer 9.00x20, but it's such a vintage size that the prices are stupid for original tires...

nattieleather

These are neat trucks and I've coveted one for many years. Back in the 90s a friend here in Ohio had one and I got to sit in the truck. The weird thing with this truck is even as a grown man you sit in the truck and you feel like a little kid sitting in your dad's truck. I remember looking at my friend and saying gee daddy can I drive your truck. LOL!

rhinob

These are neat trucks and I've coveted one for many years. Back in the 90s a friend here in Ohio had one and I got to sit in the truck. The weird thing with this truck is even as a grown man you sit in the truck and you feel like a little kid sitting in your dad's truck. I remember looking at my friend and saying gee daddy can I drive your truck. LOL!
Haha….got that right! It's like sitting on the floor in there! But strangely it works….

nattieleather

We'd have to research it but I think the M705 was a considered replacement for the M715. The composite lights came out in either 1968 or 69 and all MVs produced after that time frame had the large composite lights on them (example M151A2's were designed for the composite lights) as appose to the old cat's eye style lights that dated back to pre WWII days. Therefore I think these trucks were produced in the very late 60's or vary early 70's as a replacement for the M715 which where built what 67-69 or there about? That's my theory for what it's worth.

67Beast

We'd have to research it but I think the M705 was a considered replacement for the M715. The composite lights came out in either 1968 or 69 and all MVs produced after that time frame had the large composite lights on them (example M151A2's were designed for the composite lights) as appose to the old cat's eye style lights that dated back to pre WWII days. Therefore I think these trucks were produced in the very late 60's or vary early 70's as a replacement for the M715 which where built what 67-69 or there about? That's my theory for what it's worth.
That is correct, these were made to compete in a contract bid against the upgrade M715E1 in the early 70's before the Army decided to scrap the whole idea of "combat trucks" in favor of civilian base vehicles which was awarded to the Dodge 880 series in 1976. Upgraded lighting to the new larger composite lights was in the bid requirements.

67Beast

Yes there were updates to the motor, including relocating the rear oil line to the side of the block and changing it to a hard line. A few other motor updates and the moved the batteries behind the seats and added a passenger bench seat similar to the style in a deuce. And the raised the side windows and framing so that you no longer hit you head getting in and out. Also added an extra electric fuel pump just outside of the tank and moved the foot starter switch to the dash. There are several other little things also. There were 40 of them made for testing and evaluations of which I know there are ate least 2 that have survived. There is a guy in California that was restoring one a while back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks