• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How not to re roll the cable on your wrecker drag winch"

AMGeneral

Well,as if the Deuce throwing a fan blade through the radiator during the ECC and the girlfriends dually trans taking a dump on the way to pick me up wasn't bad enough!!

Since I was home and the wrecker needs work,I decided to clean it up and do some maint to it. After I got finished I noticed the drag winch was a big mess after I last used it,so I decided to unwind and re spool the cable. I have a short hill in my driveway that is perfect to use the wreckers weight to keep the cable taught while unwinding.

I always park my 2003 Dodge dually right next to the house( for quick access)
Well I hooked the cable to a LARGE tree and started to unwind the cable downhill using the driveway.

Well,needless to say the wrecker got away and used my dually bed for a stopping point,crushing it between the front bumper and the house.Just a moment before,I thought"Maybe I should move the dually in case the wrecker gets away?"

Too late,Anybody got a complete bed for a white 2003 dodge dually?

Ah,I also forgot to mention,10 minutes before G/F dually stopped on her,she got a call from a neighbor that one of her horses that she had owned for about 12 years had died.

I knew I should have gone on to Aberdeen with Cabell.

Attachments

Last edited:

maybefixit

Do you need the whole bed or can you just replace the fairing? I thought the side panels were made easy to replace since a lot of people bang them up.
Of course, there'd need to be some repainting to prevent rust...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be your avatar?

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, gloom despair and agony on me.

mr.travo

I have replaced Ford dually fenders before and they are bolt out/ bolt on with a gasket in between. I have an 07 Dodge Dually now and have not crushed any of these....... yet. So I don't know how they are bolted up.

Please post up how it's going. Looks like the bed isn't that bad unless it has knocked the whole bed out of alignment or bent the frame. Looking at the picture it doesn't look like the wrecker hit it TOO hard. I don't know though because pictures can hide the real damage too.

Geeeze Brandon ... Here I am sitting over here in Raleigh feeling sorry for my misfortunes and not getting to go.
Sure hope that luck turns around for you soon.

Condolences to your GF on her loss.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks