• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was told to get "back-up" lights, so,,,,,,

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey there everyone! I was told by an "inspector" I needed back-up lights on the Raven Deuce! UGH! I don't agree, and I don't think the law does either, but I am one that will not be "right" and be wrong for inspection purposes. (easier to put on lights, and stifle the inspector that way! LOL) I purchased some exterior lights with RUBBER housings! KEWL:-D I wired them with #12 stranded wire. I followed the original wiring through loops and all! These little guys are purty bright! Not KC's, but bright. They are wired to the covered toggle switch that I mounted to the dash. I also mounted a plate light for poops and giggles. Rather be safe, than have an over curious PO or trooper. What do you guys think? I hope I kept them out of the way enough.

Attachments

m109guy

Looks good.

I had to install a back-up light for one of my jeeps to pass inspection. I installed the exact same light. Works well.

I was able to get away with not putting one on the deuce because I was able to convince the guy that they never came with them, so I shouldn't have to install one.

I also had to install license plate and clearance lights all over the vehicles. In the end, I had to install 18 clearance lights on the M109 to pass inspection.

Chevytruck

wow that's cool, cant see it well in the pics, how far do the lights stick out? because they might get hit with some bush if they stick out too far.

still really cool! :-D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is neat. Never had to do that to get my junk registered, but trying to see out in the dez at night while backing is a PITA. I would like to do something like that. Are they 12 or 24vdc? I'd also mount them a tad more inboard 'cause creosote bushes like to reach out and grab things that hang out too far :wink:

Parker2

Very nice! Even if you dont use them for back up lights they can come in handy when working behind your truck at night. I wish I had lights on the back of my work trucks, but I have too long a list of projects and too little time. :)

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plate light is flush mount, 12v. I have an extra if you are interested, you pay shipping. We'll see the first time I take her off road if they are to outboard. lol They do have flexible rubber housing though, so,,,,,,,,,, Tried 'em out last night, KEWL:driver: Is identical to head lights, only in reverse! Plate light is on a seperate toggle to the right of steering column. I only turn that one on when on the highway.:idea: All wire joints are water-proof shrink butt type on the "power"side. THANKS for the input! I also have some round "back-up" lights with rubber gromett style mounting if anyone wants or needs some. Let me know, they are 12vdc

m109guy

You can also buy a regular license plate light that lets you change out the bulb. Just put a 24v bulb into it and you can wire it up to the rear lights. I wired mine to the clearance/running light circuit with a 24v bulb, so that when I turn on the truck lights, the license plate light comes on as well.

You can also buy that utility light in 24v (NAPA #64921) if you do not want to do any special wiring.

ida34

I think you got off lucky on your install. Most state laws that I have seen require the backup lights to only be activated when the vehicle is in reverse. In other words, you can not be able to turn them on unless you are in reverse. Incidentally, I recently researched this and in Michigan it looks like a reverse light is not required but if installed it must be only activated when the vehicle is in reverse.

Last edited:

randyscycle

Nice looking install!

That is exactly what I did for a plate light. Just a NAPA unit with a 24V bulb. When I get around to painting, I'll spray it Desert Sand too. Never notice it wasn't stock.

Here in VA, the law for backup lights is: If they are installed they must work when reverse is selected. If the vehicle never had them originally, or they can be removed, then they aren't necessary.

Jones

Nice clean install. Painted to match the truck, they'll disappear even further into their surroundings.

Arguing with a LEO or an inspector is a fool-hearty venture at best... often earning you a far more thorough inspection. Better to just say that you were under the impression that, if the vehicle didn't originally come with this, that, or the other component, it isn't required to have it now.
If you can't resist the temptation; quote the vehicle code section that pertains and let it go.

In my young and stupid days, I ended up with a heavily modified Unimog that, after thoroughly annoying a DMV inspector, was eventually inspected and re-classed as a "special construction vehicle".
In California, "special construction vehicles" are the year they were completed, making my mid-60's Unimog now 20+ years newer and required to have smog, catalytic converter, seat-belts, and all other manner of safety device known to man-- including some they probably invented just to make me install them.

Nowadays, "no, you're wrong" has been replaced by "gosh officer, I didn't know that"--
and I more fully understand the saying: "Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird a$$".

tm america

doesnt the rod coming out the back of the trans top cover move to the back when in reverse.it would be pretty easy to run a micro switch off of that so the lights come on in reverse only.then you could wire another switch to turn them on when you want if you want :roll:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doesnt the rod coming out the back of the trans top cover move to the back when in reverse.it would be pretty easy to run a micro switch off of that so the lights come on in reverse only.then you could wire another switch to turn them on when you want if you want :roll:
That is my set-up in the deuce, which also includes a backup alarm.
The xm757 was even easier, shown below. The neutral safety switch is standard, I added the switch for the backup light....

Attachments

tm america

i'm gonna be putting some back up lights on my deuce to but i also have a remote control spot-flood light i'm gonna mount on a pole light the convoy lights were mounted so i can use it to see in the bed or anywhere i need :-D

EO2NMCB

In ILL if you are running weight plates, yes on the Insp and Yes on having to have backup lights. If running AV plates then no Insp needed.

yeager1

I have read (in magazines and on this site) that there is an aircraft landing light bulb that fits into that same rubber housing but is much brighter. Does anyone know the part number? or have you used one??

Oldgrunt

Boy I really feel lucky, here in Ohio there really is no inspections per say. The women at the BMV didn't even know look at the lights, just the number on the data plate. Where did you get the 24 volt back up light bulbs from?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In ILL if you are running weight plates, yes on the Insp and Yes on having to have backup lights. If running AV plates then no Insp needed.
If running AV plates, only authorized to and from show or display and to and from maint. shop. I drive the Raven Deuce much more than that, and put "f" plates on her to comply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks