• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was told to get "back-up" lights, so,,,,,,

bonedoc

Thanks for the write up Valence and Clinto. I have peashooters switch and will be replacing my trans this summer. I plan on installing the switch at that time. I have switch activated rear lights and a second set on the sides of the truck for night time working around the truck. Looking forward to the auto switch as well for the back up lights.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was told to get "back-up lights, so...

Here are a few photos of what I did in my little truck. As you can see, it has indicator lights that can be dimmed if necessary. They have red lenses to match the instrument lights.

The "Rear Work Lights" installed:

IMG_4146R.jpgIMG_4147R.jpg

Here are some photos of the interior switch bracket and covered switches (the indicator lights are on the right of the bracket).

IMG_7873R.jpgIMG_7874R.jpgIMG_9665R.jpgIMG_9666R.jpg

They do work well. Especially when dealing with trailers at night.

srodocker

Didnt know washington had that law storm. The one time I've been pulled over he just gave me my phone ticket and then asked where I got it and such never anything about reverse lights. Granted at that time I may have had rear aux lights on so he may have just assumed it was reverse not to sure.

beautiful truck storm! I know ive bugged you before but you should bring that rig down to Chehalis campout/convoy!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didnt know washington had that law storm. The one time I've been pulled over he just gave me my phone ticket and then asked where I got it and such never anything about reverse lights. Granted at that time I may have had rear aux lights on so he may have just assumed it was reverse not to sure.

beautiful truck storm! I know ive bugged you before but you should bring that rig down to Chehalis campout/convoy!
I'd like to see some more pics of that truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the write up Valence and Clinto. I have peashooters switch and will be replacing my trans this summer. I plan on installing the switch at that time. I have switch activated rear lights and a second set on the sides of the truck for night time working around the truck. Looking forward to the auto switch as well for the back up lights.
Bonedoc, it's been two months, did you get your switch installed? :-D

I like seeing what others did and how their lights look too.

bonedoc

Bonedoc, it's been two months, did you get your switch installed? :-D

I like seeing what others did and how their lights look too.

Not yet. Hoping to get started on trans after Labor day weekend. Have been really busy. Have 3 kids going off to college this month. 1 returning, 2 for their first year.

Will definitely post pics once it is done. plan on taking pics of whole job.

Nomad1

I want to set up my "reverse/work lights" on a toggle switch that lights up:idea: when the switch is in the on position and has a gaurd like this in the photo but this switch is rated for 12v 20 amp and I need one rated for 24v. I know that some switches are rated for both just half the amps when 24v is this almost always the case? Does anybody know where I can get one like it thats rated for 24v:?:

switch.jpg

Last edited:

77 AMG

You should fine with the power issues, but, if you really want to be sure about it, go to a heavy construction dealer and ask about the switches.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, any marine supply store should have plenty of 24 VDC switches to choose from.

I got mine online from some marine supply store (see post # 62 above). They were about the same price as automotive switches.

Just a suggestion.

Nomad1

I think I found the switch in another thread:-D will be thanking that soldier once I get my hands on it but it will be a minute. I will post the part # once I have it and confirm the switch is correct. I don't want 2 send anybody on a wild goose chase. Other switch might be fine but.... maybe not:burn:thank 4 your input everybody!

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

I put mine on the beast to make it easier for backing up , when I was out plowing the streets. hooked into the reverse air line on the transfer case with an air actuated stoplight switch for a mack.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put led work lights on the rear of the 76 deuce a few months ago. Right after I backed over my dad's mailbox one night. Oops. He still complains about the postal service wanting it there. Its been hit about 10 times and he is the last house on a dead end road. Mailman has hit it twice.

8madjack

Here are a few photos of what I did in my little truck. As you can see, it has indicator lights that can be dimmed if necessary. They have red lenses to match the instrument lights.

The "Rear Work Lights" installed:

View attachment 685780View attachment 685781

Here are some photos of the interior switch bracket and covered switches (the indicator lights are on the right of the bracket).

View attachment 685782View attachment 685783View attachment 685784View attachment 685785

They do work well. Especially when dealing with trailers at night.
Love your switch setup.

Nomad1

Do you have any photoes or a write up on that? I know there is a external shaft u can mod on the shifter and use a ball switch but sounds like ur talking about something different
I put mine on the beast to make it easier for backing up , when I was out plowing the streets. hooked into the reverse air line on the transfer case with an air actuated stoplight switch for a mack.

BEASTMASTER

I just found the air line for the sprag when I put it in reverse. i just put a tee in the line and when I hit reverse the lights would come on. I should mention that I have 61 m-51.

Nomad1

Well that switch does not work as the light in the switch is only rated for 14v funny thing is now when you go back to that post it says that
I think I found the switch in another thread:-D will be thanking that soldier once I get my hands on it but it will be a minute. I will post the part # once I have it and confirm the switch is correct. I don't want 2 send anybody on a wild goose chase. Other switch might be fine but.... maybe not:burn:thank 4 your input everybody!

jimm1009

I read a little above this that the kits were available in the classified section. Of course that was a few years ago as this thread spans almost a decade now. Does anyone if they are available? I would love to buy the housing as a minimum in which to thread in the switch.
I put rubber mounted lights in the brackets on, both from NAPA but don't like the idea of the toggle as some will agree.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks