• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my truck. Whats this engine?

Sparky

I've got some pics of my truck on line, but I have not figured out as to yet how to put the pic's into my post. So for now, I just added a link. Anyway, I've have already taken the front cap & bed off and I have the winch removed. I'm trying to get it down to the frame so I can start on cleaning the frame and reworking the brakes. I don't plan on removing the engine & Xmsn unless I run into a situation that requires it.
I've got to find some answers about the engine in this truck. If anyone cares to look at te pics and see if they can tell me what kind of engine it is, I would be most grateful.

http://rsparks62.tripod.com/m37/index.album?i=0

My Dad has been restoring MV's all his adult life. He told me this is not the correct engine for the truck, but that it is likely a Dodge or Chrysler engine from the same time period as the truck, 1953. It has a serial number on the r/h side of the block, but I have not gotten it cleaned off enough to make out the numbers.
I'll try and post some closer pics of the engine soon. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jones

More than a few of these, mine included, were converted to Chrysler flathead sixes by their civilian owners for more power. If I remember correctly, one of the earmarks was the front mount had to be reversed so that the tabs pointed backwards because the Chryslers were longer. If I can share some advice that was costly for me to learn... First; don't try putting truck connecting rods in a passenger car block, they're longer and tend to hit things, like the top of the combustion chamber. Second; don't forget to install a fresh, new water distribution tube when rebuilding the engine. Otherwise the water just circulates around the front one or two cylinders giving no cooling to the back of the engine. Generally the old tube is miserable to remove, make sure you got all of it out.

da_sgt

On closer inspection of the left side of the motor I notice that it has the wrong oil fill pipe, it's also missing the oil level gauge (dip stick), not to mention other various peices parts. Could be a civy engine, and not the T245... Just need some better info :wink:

Sparky

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post some more pics when I have the engine out of the truck...

Elwenil

I don't think very many people want to put a $12k engine in an old military truck, lol. Hell, even the new "Hemi" crate engines are $8k+. Which BTW, is not a real Hemi anyway.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sparky, that is a similar motor for the M37, but it is not the correct one. The oil filler pipe is a dead giveaway.

The M37 T-245 engine was application specific, with special castings for the waterproof features. A fine example is the blue one, even if it is the wrong color for a correct restoration. They all seem to turn the same color with age anyway.

In the interest of originality, the 230 CI is correct. To make it go, anything you can get to fit is OK.

dg

Sparky

I've been told it is a 50's era Chrysler engine, similar to the 230. Its a close match, thats for sure. For the time being I plan on using this motor. It smokes a bit when first cranked (valve guides?) but clears up after a bit.
But I want to find out what it is and what if anything from a mil. 230 will interchange. If I ever replace it I will go with a engine from Memphis Equipment. But I can't put that kind of $$$ into it at this time. I have found nothing of any help on the internet that would ID the different Chrysler & Dodge flathead 6's from that time period. From what I've been able to determin, it could be one of about three different engines.
If anyone comes across a good website that details these engines, I would be indebted if you would pass it along to me. In the mean time I'm checking with some local grease monkey's to see what they know. If I find out anything, I will post it for future reference.

P.S. Hemi's don't fix everything ;-) 318's on the other hand never fail to be the cure. Plus they are behind every bush at the junk yard and will run you about $250....

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine type and S/N is usually listed on a boss located driver side, front, just below the head. A correct motor for the M37 will start with T-245. A "T" means a truck engine, a "P" means a Plymouth, a "D" means a Dodge car, eTc.

A call to Vintage Power Wagons with what you find may yield results for the original application.

dg

Sparky

I've got it ID'ed at last. It is a 230cid flat head six made in 1957. It came out of a Dodge D300 or a DL300. My engine serial number begins with T538* and that was what led me to finding out what it was. And as luck would have it, 57 was the only year they made the T538. I've got a list of all the Dodge & Chrysler engine codes for trucks from 1937 to 1961. If anyone wants a copy, I'll be glad to email you one.

Thanks to everyone for your help and input on this subject.

carguy455

I crack one liitle joke about using a "Hemi" and suddenly everyones a critic......lol :roll:

Heck, slant 6's are practically free if you want cheap ......

I hope you get er runnin soon and whatever you power it with by all means ENJOY IT !!!

Best of luck to ya !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks