• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M915A1 today

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jpcj7, what´s your take on a 1000 mile drive with one of these trucks? As in fly in, drive home? Do they look recently serviced? Do they all have the cab rust? I was afraid of that, you could see it in the GL pics . . . Good luck with the alternator, looks like a special military only part. Thanks in advance for your advice . . .

Chief_919

Does anyone know what the thing is attached to the back of the alternator? It got fried on our way out to Pa. today, (2 miles from home) so we had to come back home. We are Trying to fix it quick so that we can head out again. I think that it converts 12volt to 24 volt for the blackout lights and starter, any help? Please give me a call if anybody knows anything about this. Thanks, Lance (419) 512-0393
Transformer-Recifier (Combination Voltage Regulator and DUVAC)

Part #'s T0015114TB, 5114TB, 5114T

NSN 2920-01-102-8586

It looks like you can buy there here:

rectifier

CME Arma in Miami may have them as well

jpcj-7

jpcj7, what´s your take on a 1000 mile drive with one of these trucks? As in fly in, drive home? Do they look recently serviced? Do they all have the cab rust? I was afraid of that, you could see it in the GL pics . . . Good luck with the alternator, looks like a special military only part. Thanks in advance for your advice . . .

Okay... here is our story, we drove ours home (145 miles) and it was just fine. We left for Pa. and had the electrical problem (of which we have kind of solved) We went home, isolated the problem, then drove about 350 mi out to Pa. (700 mi round trip +/-) and it went well. I'm getting ready to take the truck another 600 miles (round trip) on the MVPA Convoy this week. Ours has ALL new oil and filters all the way around, the tires are good (brand new on the front!) Lights all worked, most of them had cab rust, some worse than others. As far as the alternator goes, good news is that I found that many heavy trucks had 24 volt starters set up this way in the 1980s.

Reactions: NDT

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the M915A1 arrived from Wright-Patterson today, and I am still on cloud 9. Runs, drives, stops, knee deep matched rubber, full tank of diesel, 4 new 6MTFs, full maintenance records including a diskette?, nothing broken or smashed or bent. The bad? Well there is occasional surface rust everywhere and some rust though issues on the top of the cab in the corners. About what I would expect for a 26 year old truck.

I will admit I chickened out on the self-recovery. While it would have been a great adventure, Walker over at TruckingDeals got me a dollar a mile rate that was cheaper than the airfare and diesel to drive her back. The Air Force museum will have to wait till another day!
BTW the Rogers lowboy and M275 did not make the trip, they served as an improptu unloading ramp.

Attachments

jpcj-7

Congratulations on getting your new truck home! Hey time and money talks, I would have probably had her shipped also if I was in your shoes!

BugEyeBear

NICE LOOKING TRUCK!!

BUT ONE DAY do make the time to do the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson. They have some EXCELLENT aircraft there!! Plan on spending AT LEAST a day there! Be sure to check out the XB-70 (they only ever built 2 and this is the only one left!!) Most epensive aircraft ever built (based upon cost per flight hour)!!

"Cheers!" :beer:
-Bear-

Attachments

Last edited:

Chief_919

Well the M915A1 arrived from Wright-Patterson today, and I am still on cloud 9. Runs, drives, stops, knee deep matched rubber, full tank of diesel, 4 new 6MTFs, full maintenance records including a diskette?, nothing broken or smashed or bent. The bad? Well there is occasional surface rust everywhere and some rust though issues on the top of the cab in the corners. About what I would expect for a 26 year old truck.

I will admit I chickened out on the self-recovery. While it would have been a great adventure, Walker over at TruckingDeals got me a dollar a mile rate that was cheaper than the airfare and diesel to drive her back. The Air Force museum will have to wait till another day!
BTW the Rogers lowboy and M275 did not make the trip, they served as an improptu unloading ramp.
The diskette is likely a transfer disk from the ULLS-G or SAMS-E, email me the files on it and I can see if I can get the info for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks