• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL pickup at ft riley

jj9620

Well I see that I have won a Duece today my question is I haul in and out of Riley for regular military but I have never bought anything there and I see it says no help available do I need to hire a wrecker to load me (dont know if duce starts) and will they let you use a dock to load if it starts. Im loading it on my step deck also I will probely have space for another Ill be taking mine to so Illinois Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Westech

CPL
Well Im stationed there and have pick up many things at the GL site. They will help but only have little 4k fork lifts. you will need to tow it off the yard, I will be on leave from June 8-16. If your there after the 16 I can help you move the truck. If you want me to look it over email me the paper work (not the pick up form just the first page) and I can go play with it and see if I can get her going for you. There is a loading dock but I dont know if you can use it. I can ask around I bet I can get something for ya. Let me know.

Richwestbury901@hotmail.com or PM it to me.

reb87

They do have a loading dock and will let you use it. They are pretty helpfull and could push it on your trailer with something.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You should check with Robert out there when you call to get a load out time. If it is not up at the main lot by the DRMO they may not be able to help. Also they will usually only load out on Tues, Wed, Thurs.

Jakob1944

You should check with Robert out there when you call to get a load out time. If it is not up at the main lot by the DRMO they may not be able to help. Also they will usually only load out on Tues, Wed, Thurs.
I know this is an old post......by chance do you have a ph number of the DRMO.......I bought a M998a1 and would like to drive up there and do a look/see.......

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know this is an old post......by chance do you have a ph number of the DRMO.......I bought a M998a1 and would like to drive up there and do a look/see.......
The GP stuff is not in the DRMO, they have their own lot a couple of blocks away to the west. You will have to call the number GP gave you when you got your paid in full. Depending on the day if you don't have a miitary ID or CAC card it can take an hour to get on base.

Jakob1944

The GP stuff is not in the DRMO, they have their own lot a couple of blocks away to the west. You will have to call the number GP gave you when you got your paid in full. Depending on the day if you don't have a miitary ID or CAC card it can take an hour to get on base.
That makes sense.....that way GP doesn't have the DRMO lot tied up with items that have been already paid out to the Govt.....I do have a Mil ID card......Thank.....

Jakob1944

I see the storage lot.....next to the train track and lake
Hay maybe if it sits there long enough it will be in the next satellite fly over when Google shoots a photo

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok in a week everything as far as getting on and leaving the post has changed at the DRMO gate. Last week if you have a Mil/CAC ID card you could have got right in at the HWY 18 gate (the one closest to the DRMO), but it is now only for commercial trucks or civi's doing a PU at GP or GL/DRMO and is only for going into the post no longer an exit for anything! If you want to go in that gate you will have to go through the inspection and background check like you were a civilian driver and depending on line can take an hour. Now the closet gate is north and is the one in Ogden and like any Fort gate town it is a speed trap 30mph..
BTW those lots full of trucks are empty now, except for the NG/reserve MATES ones to the west.

Last edited:

Jakob1944

Thanks for the update....I really appreciate it.....I wonder if I have any "visitation rights".......Mine is a 2 door, camo. troop hauler.....has a large "BP077" wrote on the windshield in white.....

If I did go up there, I visit Masonic Lodge Union #7 in Junction City......

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going up on Monday. I will be towing an empty m101. Am I required to go through the commercial/truck gate? If so, What time are they open as I have an 8am pick up?

Thanks for insight!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am pretty sure it opens at 07 and if you don't have Military/CAC ID then yes it is commercial gate which is right by GP/GL and DRMO. If you have those Id's you can go up to the Ogden gate which is just north of where you are going, and don't have to get out of truck and it is open 24hrs.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an M105A2 trailer at Ft Riley a few years back. I entered by the main gate for civilian trucks and it took only about 10 minutes. I was likely very lucky. The DRMO folks advised me to depart by a seldom-used gate, which I did. They told me that the highway patrol and local police waited outside the main gate during pickups to inspect MV trucks and trailers and issue expensive tickets. They cited things like no license tag, no tag light, etc. They said it was a good revenue generator for them. I had no problems exiting the smaller gate where DRMO directed me. That being said, that was several years ago and I haven't been back to Ft Riley since then.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an M105A2 trailer at Ft Riley a few years back. I entered by the main gate for civilian trucks and it took only about 10 minutes. I was likely very lucky. The DRMO folks advised me to depart by a seldom-used gate, which I did. They told me that the highway patrol and local police waited outside the main gate during pickups to inspect MV trucks and trailers and issue expensive tickets. They cited things like no license tag, no tag light, etc. They said it was a good revenue generator for them. I had no problems exiting the smaller gate where DRMO directed me. That being said, that was several years ago and I haven't been back to Ft Riley since then.
Thanks for the tip. I registered my trailer in Maine when I got it because I knew I would be driving it alot with scouts, pick ups, family, favors, and I always seem to have a trailer on my back side :) It has a license plate and light / conspicuity tape/ and lighted markers (does not require but I will take all the visibility I can get) so good on that. I will be super mindful of speed limits.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wanted to update as I was confused my first time there and in Ks. I took the wrong exit for Kansas 18 west. :-(

Commercial / truck entrance is off I-70, exit 303 for Kansas Hwy 18 East, then exit 12th st ramp, turn left and follow the signs. Gate does open at 5am. background check and pass mandatory. took me and my son 15 min. My son did not have a "real" id but we were prepared with a passport. They did not need it yet but told me starting Jan 1, 2 forms of id were required.

Entrance only as noted. Exit through main gate. I don't mind as I get "lost" and like to drool at the cool stuff in the lots.

Gl loaded me quickly and I am super glad as it was 15* and well beyond my parameters of operation. This boy took off quickly straight south as fast as I could. :) Got home and it was 80!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Glad your trip did not go sideways. Our high to day was 28 at midnight, it's 18 and snowing (4" max) at noon and supposed to be -3 by tomorrow morning. We are toasty compared to the states north of us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks