• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new Bobbed Deuce and trailer trip

MVrookie

I'm the new owner of the latest sale from 100dollarman (Hundy). The experience with him was honest, open and entirely satisfying. He is good businessman and pleasure to work with. Thanks Mark!

I took delivery of the Bobbed Deuce and trailer about 1230, 28 May at 100dollarman's shop in Lucern Valley, CA. He checked fluid levels and sent me on my way. Since this was the first time driving the modified deuce with a trailer, I had a lot to learn about starting and most of all stopping this rig. I adjusted within 50 miles or so and had a long (9.5 hours) run up to Reno on US 395. About half of the run oscillates between 7000 and 7500 ft. altitude.
The truck required shifting down to 3rd gear several times in order to make the multiple 7500 ft summits. The temp remained at 200 degrees F (indicated) @ 40 lbs oil pressure. Outside temperature remained around 75F. The truck delivered 11.2 MPG on diesel. The highest summit on US395 is 8200ft.

I encountered thunderstorms at 6000 ft on the downhill run into the Carson Valley. The 1400's on the truck resisted turn-in for minor corrections but grabbed like crazy immediately after initial turn in. The resulting series of corrections had me "wagging" between oversteer and understeer inside the lines frequently. Total distance traveled was 426 Miles.

Ultimately, my arrival at our ranch north of Reno was one welcome event.

I've been lurking here on the site for a couple of months while Mark modded the deuce. I've learned a lot from all of you and remain amazed and little more optimistic about the state of our union. The creativity and resourcefulness the SS community shares, encourages me about the hard times our country is in the midst of, while at war. Thanks to all who are serving and have served our nation.

This is my first post and hopefully will share some of the magic with you all from our high desert ranch. ( Initial donation to the SS forum noted)

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I liked the pics he posted of your deuce and trailer. He does good work. That is a hell of a run for a first drive. Welcome to the site. Like you I am amazed at the knowledge available here and then blown away at the friendships and help you will get from individuals you may never meet. Glad you found us and found a good member to get you started off with a bobber!!!

100dollarman

Keith- It was an absolute pleasure to do business with you. I wish all of my customers were as easy to get along with! LOL

I am glad to hear that your roadtrip went well. Dude, you are a baddass to just jump in that beast and drive it home....and with a trailer to boot!!! Props to you!

Thanks again for the business, and stay in touch!

Here are a couple of pics-

Attachments

KaiserM109

MVrookie,
You're less of a rookie than lots on this site, having driven it that far. Do you realize that you're stuck with that moniker, even after you are no longer a rookie?

A couple of questions for Hundy:
Does that deuce have a muffler and if so what type?
What about turning the back hub and lug bolts around and mounting the tire the other way? What are the pros and cons?

Arlyn

PS Nice work!

MVrookie

KaiserM109,

A bit of dumb luck and a good truck choice by 100dollarman, resulted in a safe and successful journey. Besides, we use to own British sports cars. The Prince of Darkness has not darkened our MV's yet! Cheers

100dollarman

MVrookie,
You're less of a rookie than lots on this site, having driven it that far. Do you realize that you're stuck with that moniker, even after you are no longer a rookie?

A couple of questions for Hundy:
Does that deuce have a muffler and if so what type?
What about turning the back hub and lug bolts around and mounting the tire the other way? What are the pros and cons?

Arlyn

PS Nice work!

Arlyn- That particular deuce has a large muffler on it--- stock as far as I know. This truck is probably the "quietest" one I have had.

Flipping the hubs-
pros- sucks the tire in -- some may say it looks better
cons- sucks the tire in, but when you run a huge tire like a 14.00, it will probably rub on the fenderwell unless you make some room.

Plus- I always say its easier to "not" do it!

I am working on some recentered wheels that should line up better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks