• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel shutoff rod

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good, yes you can rotate the "plunger" and with some penetrating oil it should loosen up.

Joel, yours was mailed yesterday, it's a take-out, so you'll need to clean it up a bit...

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
thanks again bjorn, got it back together. The new shutoff rod is identical to the old one except the ends were different sizes. I traced the ends and measured when I got home the old was 7/16" new 9/16"

Farmun

In lieu of opening a new thread, I thought I would post my question here, since it is related to the fuel shutoff rod....

Last week, I was moving the truck from the driveway back to it's grazing area in the pasture. I got in, flipped the power switch, and she fired right up. Then I noticed the fuel shutoff was still pulled out. I've always noticed that the shutoff never seemed to affect the motor until that last half inch or so, when you can feel the spring engaging. So it appears that there is a couple of inches of travel. Is this normal?

In the past couple of months, she's been a 3 push starter. I think it has to do with fuel draining from the top of the motor via the fuel return lines. Got to get her turning over to push the fuel up to the injectors, and see it fill the return lines before she fires up. (Been replacing these lines as I have time.)

Anyway, the fuel shutoff has notches that allows it to lock in place. Last night, when I shut her down after my son and I completed a leisurely drive, I pulled the shutoff, and locked it in place all the way out - with the tension on the spring. Will this: 1) put undo stress on the spring, 2) damage the ends of the rod in the IP, and/or 3) help keep fuel in the lines for easier start next time?

Thanks in advance for any followup information! :wink:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say no stress and no problem leaving it pulled out till you need to start again. On the hard start have you checked your fuel pressure with just the in tank pump running?

Farmun

... On the hard start have you checked your fuel pressure with just the in tank pump running?
Not yet. Haven't really seen the need so far, but will when fuel filters get changed in a couple of weeks. When I see fuel start filling up the return lines (after cranking over the second 10 second attempt) she starts shortly thereafter.

I'll leave the shutoff locked in place until saturday, and see if there's any difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks