• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct Stencil Font

maverick

Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me what the correct font is for the stenciling on MVs, Also is the font diffrent for USMC marked vehicles?

Would sign shops have this font on their comptuer system as i would like to get some lettering made.

Westech

CPL
hmm just your standord font for stencils I would say.... we just go to the hardware store and pick up a set of 3" for 2.5 ton and larger and 2" for 1 1/4 tons and lighter.

badgmc56

All letters and numerals used in the marking of vehicles and equipment will be of the gothic style. Thickness of characters will be between 1/6 and 1/7 of their height. This information is right out of the color and marking manual. TB 746-93-1 Great manual to have, I think it cost me about 18 bucks. Bob C.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only difference I know of for Marine Corps vehicles is the M. It looks like a V with legs and is different from any I have seen in stencil sets. Look at the attached picture, you will see what I mean. This is used for the "USMC" markings on the sides, front and rear (drivers side both ends). Just to confuse things, the normal stencil M is usually used for the M number on the doors.

However, as with all things to do with MVs, there are exceptions, I have seen the normal stencil M used occasionally for the "USMC".

All the above is done in 2" letters/numerals.

Cheers

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can do 1/4, 1/2 and 1 inch. It will cost the price of the oil board and a donation to the site. Oil board is about a buck for a 6 x 24 sheet. PM me if you are interested.

vtdeucedriver

Stuart.....................what you stenciling now????? You better check what your doing, Vietnam Vehicles did not have that font.......................I dont want to have to GIG your truck but I will if need be:stir pot:

vtdeucedriver

Dont know about marine corps......................thats too bad. She would have looked good over there with a yellow nose[thumbzup]

Numbers

USMC Markings

Section 4004.1 says, "Registration markings shall be uniformly applied, using letters and numerals 2, 3, 4, or 5 inches in height. The use of the largest size practicable in the available space will be the determining factor in choosing letter and numeral dimensions."
Section 4006.3 authorizes locally procured self adhesive decals for this, and section 4006.2 specifies that if markings are painted on with stencils, spaces should neatly filled to provide unbroken lines."
There are no stars anywhere.
There are no other markings specified. If it helps the Mighty Mites that I have seen in original markings have unit markings in diamonds on sides. Also, if it helps, per same manual above, on jeeps the registration # is applied to rear bumperettes. No markings of any kind are specified on any front bumper areas.
Hope this helps,
David Doyle

------

Another site discusses SOW (statement of work) (Gov site):

USMC registration numbers (serial numbers) shall be stenciled on the left side, right side and rear ofthe vehicle. For the left side and right side, 2-inch uniform letters shall be used. For the rear, 1-inchuniform Gothic letters shall be used. For both the sides and rear, use exterior black paint (307030,MIL-C-46168).

Numbers

Sorry for the delay, been away on my hols :-D So just in case i have missed something is gothic text ok for USMC marked vehicles?
Don't know. There is conflicting information on two different reliable sources (USMC directions and David Doyle). One says unbroken lines and the other says Gothic. My guess is most people are using Gothic from what I can see. That in itself does not mean its right but...

Try a search on the web or here for the link to a stencil called Phantom Stencil. It's downloadable for free. It looks really close if you choose not to go the Gothic route.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would need to check the date for the particular set of directions too, style for marking need to be period specific. By that I mean using current directions for painting a Vietnam era truck would not be appropriate, nor WW2 directions for Vietnam, etc.
The information I gave you is for early-mid 80s on.

Cheers

ONTOS66

When you say that you want the markings to be correct for Vietnam - is that Vietnam era but not in-country or in Vietnam. In the field we covered / or painted over most of the markings. Really didn't want nice yellow letters standing out in the bush.

Also, when I was with 3rd Marine Division it was common to stencil the WWII 3rd Mar Div "triad" symbol on the vehicles, gas cans, etc. I don't recall ever seeing it done when I was with 1st Marine Division. But that can vary from command to command.

Unfortunately most of my photos from that period were polaroid and didn't survive my travels.

maverick

Hi Guys
Yes the 3rd Mar Div did keep busy marking the "triad" symbol on things, i had a radio shipped over from the US and that had the "triad" symbol.

He wants the M37 to look factory fresh with all correct markings present as this has been a nut and bolt rebuild. So basically as it landed in Vietnam straight from the US

Numbers

Numerous guys offer good representations in a neat little package. Rick Larsen is one and there is one other on here also. He does the unit markings also.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just watched a documentary, The Full Blade, on the 1/9 Marines in Vietnam in 1966.
There is some very clear footage of a deuce driving by (in the field, carrying troops). Looks to be painted Marine Green, no markings at all on the front bumper, had USMC 188954 painted on the side of the hood in yellow.
Lettering was solid (ie no stencil gaps) and was centered on the side of the hood (from front to rear and vertically) rather than as close to the back edge as is 'standard' nowadays.

I believe 1/9 was attached to the 3rd MarDiv at that time, but don't take my word for it.

Cheers

Edit- Markings looked like what 67beast posted below but with a smaller gap between the USMC and the numbers

Last edited:

67Beast

Yes, I'm the other member who does markings for vehicles. My site is index

Here is a nice referance pic of 1/9 marine trucks in country. The deuce appears to have be from a maintenance company, but the Mighty Mites show the 1/9 on thier markings. From what research I've gathered, the deuces had the unit markings on the doors, front bumper, and tailgate.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks