• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'46 Willys CJ2a spotted

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This wasn't really located in a salvage yard but I couldn't think of a better place to post it. Some of you may remember a few weeks back I posted someone selling a deuce tanker that I saw sitting beside the road. I have another vehicle for someone interested in a restoration project. I don’t know how I keep finding these things but I do.
Monday I was going on a motorcycle ride with some friends and on the way to meet them I happened across what looked like a very old Jeep, so later in the day I made it a point to make my way round there again and get some info for all of you guys. It’s located along state route 800 just about a mile north of the town of Freeport, Ohio.

It’s a 1946 CJ2A Willys Jeep! It still has the original flat 4 “Go Devil” engine and IT RUNS!!! While I was there taking pictures for you guys the owner came out and we started talking. It’s titled and legal. He inherited it from his father-in-law, before him someone did a 12 volt conversion to it. He said it still drives well; he’s had it on the road within the last few weeks and driven it to Cadiz Ohio some 30 to 40 miles one way. He hopped in and started it up for me and it fired right up. He said the 4x4 works well, and his kids liked to drive it around the farm and he has pulled logs for firewood with it also.

The windshield behind the "for sale" sign is cracked pretty badly, like a rock hit it or something. Who ever owned it previously had done some extensive “sheet metal” work to it and basically fabricated a whole new tub out of galvanized metal and pop riveted it to the rusted out body. The floor pans have been done the same way. He put 4 brand new NDT tires on it this spring to sell it. He told me he’s asking $3000 for it. I can’t say one way or the other if it’s a deal or not because I do not know how rare they are or how badly someone wants a resto project.

I will say that while I was getting the bike ready to take off again, he got in it and pulled it forward away from the “wheel chock” (4x4) he was using and backed it into his barn for the night. It sounded good, no gear noises or anything like that. I tried to take a picture of the gauges while it was running, but the pics are hard to see because all I had with me was the cell phone. But I told him what I was doing with the pictures and he seemed pleased to get more attention out there for it. Someone needs to give this vehicle a good home. If I was into the old Jeeps and knew enough to take the time to do a full restoration it would be mine, but I don’t so I won’t!

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, the only ones I saw on e-pay that were that old and still had the original motor and drivetrane and were that cheap were only parts machines. Nice looking ones were upwards of 4k to 6k or more. I would like to see these original $1000 machines...I'd buy a few and fix-em up and resell em

papercu

Wasn't raining on your parade, just pointing out what was there. BTY ALL the higher price units that was on ebay, that was asking prices, none was being sold. The two I had in my post was the only ones that sold. Wayne

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're not raining on my parade...it's not my jeep. But I glanced at e-pay before posting and didn't see any $1000 machines unless they have been rebuilt using other tranny's or motors. The guys on e-pay and this guy, as far as I'm concerned are asking too much, but for a serious collector or origination who wants to do a resto and have original motor and drivetrane stuff...it's probably not too bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks