• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton towing a 55 ton tank

davesgmc

ok, sounds crazy, but can it? Can a 5 ton flat tow a 55 ton tank? using the big heavy tow bar of course. I know the engine has plenty of power, it will only go a few miles, VERY slowly,,but can anyone think of a reason it CANT be done?

Dieselsmoke

I pullled a M10 with a M35A2 before. Was easy, fortunately the tank had brakes just didn't run. Pulled it about a mile off road.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should move it no problem but even if you have problems, it will make a heck of a photo shoot. I know gasser bridging trucks are nearly unstoppable!

m.walker

You would need enough weight in the bed for traction , no way to stop it though . It may seem like flat ground but with that much weight it could run away real easy ! Alright Dave what are you cookin up ? If your doing it on the street don't forget about the laws and permits !!!

Last edited:

combat32

I have moved an M3 Bradley with a 5 ton wrecker, but the pac was out and we were only moving it from one motorpool to the next, about 500 yards down the road, it was way too much weight you could really feel it.We spun the tires on takeoff, I don't think a 5 ton could get a 55 ton tank moving, are we talking about an M60?Highly unadvisable and super dangerous, but I don't think it even possible.

waayfast

Had a loaded log truck (40 tons ,18 wheels) break down in a bad place once--really needed it moved but the mechanic showed up after driving 2 hours to get there and nothing else was available but the chevy 1 ton 2-wd,350ci service truck he was in. We had quite an argument ---he didnt think there was a chance in h!!! we could budge the dead stick wagon but we did!Was on flat ground on pavement---1st gear slip the h!!! got it rolling, stayed in 1st all the way. Got it off the busy main highway and onto a county side road and into a wide spot for safety while we changed the coupler that powered the fuel pump.Granted,you're talking 15 more ton but also A LOT bigger truck.I bet you can---and we will insist on not just pics but VIDEO!!:razz:

jatonka

Hey , in 1972, Chevy ran a ad on TV (yes they had TV in those days too) showing a Chevy pickup pulling a 747 airliner, about a hundred thousand pounds they said. My M543A2 will pull 55 tons on flat ground, low gear low range, no sweat. JT out

SixSpeed

Banned
Fifth Gear (TV Show) pulled a 747 with a VW Touareg. Goes to show what you can pull with something, but you may not go fast, and stopping will certainly be an issue.

blackwater1

i think the big problem will be if you need to turn!! The tank will want to push your back end around and I doubt you will be able to make it turn with out a lot of work.

what tank is it? If its a M48 or an M60 you will have to diconnect the tanks final drive collars and then there will be no brakes on the tank. So putting some one in the tank to work the brakes wont work!:|

be very careful I donk think it will do what you want and may tear up the truck trying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks