• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV spin on fuel filter mod

jimmy-90

After my stock filter base went bad I put a RACOR490 on mine. It has a 24 volt heating element,clear sight gauge with a drain at the bottom for watter, and best of all it has a priming botton at the top of the base along with an air bleed hole. I am useing it by it's self with a 10 micron filter. The only draw back is that RACORs are kind of expensive.

Attachments

blzrgb

I like that Ram Air you've got on there. I found a civy 6.2 in the local junk yard and swipped the factory cold air off it. Works good.

CycleJay

After my stock filter base went bad I put a RACOR490 on mine. It has a 24 volt heating element,clear sight gauge with a drain at the bottom for watter, and best of all it has a priming botton at the top of the base along with an air bleed hole. I am useing it by it's self with a 10 micron filter. The only draw back is that RACORs are kind of expensive.
Hello Jimmy,

Where does that ram air hose from the air cleaner lead out too?
a snorkel? or elsewhere? Do you have a photo of that too?

Thanks

CJ

Albin

Pawnshop, one thing I noted was the use of the Napa 4309 base, which is a 1-12 thread. If you had used the 4770 base with it's 1-14 thread, the number of spin-on fuel filters available to use in terms of size, nominal micron, physical size and water drain would have about tripled (i.e. from about 10 or so to +35; which, may or may not have helped in installing your fuel filter installation.

I found this out when I designed my pre-pump fuel filter system for my F-350 PSD.

For those of you contemplating doing this to your vehicle, here is a list of Napa spin on fuel filters with micron size, filter size, water drain yes/no and the applicable filter base.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Al

Attachments

Last edited:

vrietscha

Nice conversion.

Definitely a nice conversion. I have never had a problem with the box style filter, but the spin on filters are much more readily available everywhere you might have a problem. In my location in central PA, a heater of some sort will be needed though. If not, I'll be sitting along side the road on my way to work.

sht2kll

Thanks all for the information. I have been running around town all day trying to find a generic filter head for doing this same project. I was planning on using 2 of them a primary and secondary. That might be a bit of overkill. Napa wanted $50 for the one the guy showed me. Years ago, we used to have high performance auto parts stores here in Las Vegas. I remember buying these heads for $20. I guess I am just getting old.

Albin

Thanks all for the information. I have been running around town all day trying to find a generic filter head for doing this same project. I was planning on using 2 of them a primary and secondary. That might be a bit of overkill. Napa wanted $50 for the one the guy showed me. Years ago, we used to have high performance auto parts stores here in Las Vegas. I remember buying these heads for $20. I guess I am just getting old.
4770 1"-14 threaded filter bases for $21 but they're on back order: Wix 24770 & Napa 4770 Base - ON Backorder!!!: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

The 1"-12 filter base for about $26: Wix 24309 & Napa 4309 Base: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

If you get desperate, Amazon has the 224770 base for $29. Amazon.com: Wix 24770 Filter Mounting Base, Pack of 1: Automotive

Good luck.

Al

jimmy-90

Hello Jimmy,

Where does that ram air hose from the air cleaner lead out too?
a snorkel? or elsewhere? Do you have a photo of that too?

Thanks

CJ
Hey CycleJay the ram-air pipe goes to a 4" hole in the radiator core support. For some reason they tac weld a piece of metal over it on the cucvs. Anyhow if you type " my cucv ram-air project " into the search function on this site it will take you to my mini write up about it and the pics. Includeing the one of the front where the air comes in at.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My civilian pickup with the 6.5 has an electric pump that makes changing filters a breeze, that inspired me to install electric pumps on all my CUCV's I have owned.

Flip the switch, push the air out, flip it off. As a plus if your mechanical pump ever fails, the electric is right there and will work just fine. Any time I have had a mechanical pump fail I just removed it and ran just the electric.
Mine came with a 5 - 6 psi electric pump installed. Turn the key on and the pump starts immediately.

Similar bleeding directions. Turn the key on. Open the filter valve. Wait for fuel to spurt out. Close the filter valve.

cost was LESS than $100 at Napa...

mine has the stock box filter - new backing plate/bracket/filter

Last edited:

v8jeeptj

If I convert to the spin on water/fuel seperator filter do I have to run a second filer also. Does this one fillter seperate the water and whatever other trash might be floating in the tank?

pacebm

As long as the filter will handle 30 gph it should be good to go. I can't imagine needing more capacity than 30 gph with a 6.2. Filter will take out your water and filter the diesel. Do you have a specific filter in mind?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks