• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV spin on fuel filter mod

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duramax Fuel Filter installed and up running. Line size @ filter is closer to 1/2 inch but fresh 3/8" line will stretch into place over the Duramax inlet & outlet. I do have the fuel heater wired up using new DIY weather pack connectors. I have not wired up the water separator yet as I wish to modify the Duramax design to retain the CUCV 3rd wire / bulb check function.
Did you figure out the wiring for the WIF sensor?

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duramax Fuel Filter installed and up running. Line size @ filter is closer to 1/2 inch but fresh 3/8" line will stretch into place over the Duramax inlet & outlet. I do have the fuel heater wired up using new DIY weather pack connectors. I have not wired up the water separator yet as I wish to modify the Duramax design to retain the CUCV 3rd wire / bulb check function.
Keep me away from the matches!!!!

I've had 2 different filter heads like this in the truck over the past few months. I can't get them to not leak...and I'm being nice with the term leak. They are pounding out diesel. Way worse than the stock one I removed. I even tried a rebuild kit on one but it only progressively got worse.

I'm need to find another alternative. I was hoping to keep a fuel heater but I might get something that wraps around the filter itself and is separate.

Whitfield

Keep me away from the matches!!!!

I've had 2 different filter heads like this in the truck over the past few months. I can't get them to not leak...and I'm being nice with the term leak. They are pounding out diesel. Way worse than the stock one I removed. I even tried a rebuild kit on one but it only progressively got worse.

I'm need to find another alternative. I was hoping to keep a fuel heater but I might get something that wraps around the filter itself and is separate.
Where did you source these from? If they are defective from the manufacturer is there no resolution? Mine is still going strong but I have heard of a few duramax guys finding a bad batch of filter heads. I tried to source a GM part to avoid this issue - but with most everything made in the far east now sometimes even OE can be a roll if the dice.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you source these from? If they are defective from the manufacturer is there no resolution? Mine is still going strong but I have heard of a few duramax guys finding a bad batch of filter heads. I tried to source a GM part to avoid this issue - but with most everything made in the far east now sometimes even OE can be a roll if the dice.
A mix of sources. I bought one from ebay and another off Amazon. I bought the rebuild kit off Amazon. It was ok after the rebuild but now it is so bad I won't start it. I'm surprised it has enough fuel pressure to run.

I might try the Napa style next. I'd like a Racor but I'm not having good luck finding those. I would like a fuel heater but I don't need a water in fuel sensor.

GunnyM1009

Doing this conversion with the Napa 4770 base this weekend. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. I'm fitting out my M1009 for trail riding and the spin ons are a much easier filter to find locally if something goes wrong in the woods.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A mix of sources. I bought one from ebay and another off Amazon. I bought the rebuild kit off Amazon. It was ok after the rebuild but now it is so bad I won't start it. I'm surprised it has enough fuel pressure to run.

I might try the Napa style next. I'd like a Racor but I'm not having good luck finding those. I would like a fuel heater but I don't need a water in fuel sensor.
UPDATE - I went with a Racor 445R with fuel heater. It cost more than the Duramax filter set up (but not by much when I ordered 2 sets of filters and bases) but it has been in the truck for a few months.

I think the Duramax filters might have worked for me if I re-routed fuel filter before the lift pump but I didn't want to mess with that. I didn't order the WIF light but I have a clear bowl to see the fuel. Also I've never had a WIF light come on in over 25 yrs of owning and driving diesel trucks.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect that the WIF stuff was put in there because the military has this tendency to cross rivers without using a bridge....

Tyler benkowski

great writup with pics and information. I too am going to be doing the Duramax spin on conversation. I ordered some diy weather pack connectors.for the fuel heaters, Would you be able to tell me what color wires on the filter coincide with the original wires from the box style filter setup? Thankyou!

Rennat_2006

Just did the dmax filter conversion myself and was hoping someone had updated this thread with the electrical hookups. Whitfield and others have you guys got these hooked up? Im gonna go look in the manuals for wiring diagrams

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just clipped the and spliced the wires from the original filter to the new one. That way the truck side was the same.

vanaisa

Just did the dmax filter conversion myself and was hoping someone had updated this thread with the electrical hookups. Whitfield and others have you guys got these hooked up? Im gonna go look in the manuals for wiring diagrams
Look here - post nr.5

BenderIsGreat

It's good to see people still working on this mod!

The truck has 3 wires to the original water in fuel sensor. The duramax filter bottom has 2 wires. I haven't found the actual harness wiring for the WIF in the TM's yet... Trying to keep the WIF light working if I can.

Or at least know which of the two wires I need to connect to. Maybe the factory wiring has +V, GND, sensor return?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks