• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV spin on fuel filter mod

Pawnshop

Since I got my 1009 in August of last year I have yet to see any problems with the box filter setup and like someone had pointed out to me on here " if it ain't broke why change it yet" and it hasn't. I was going to do the doghead mod and thats when I got told that and to date my baby has not given me one issue in that area. Now with that being said I will be the first to change these things as they fail, but don't touch until then[thumbzup]

Agreed on the fuel filter setup, mine WAS broken so I upgraded rather than use the problematic stock unit.

As for the Doghead mod, DO IT! WHEN that relay fails it could also take out the starter, glow plug relay, and the flywheel (if the starter does not engage correctly). WHEN it fails, if you do not have the proper tools to disconnect the rear battery on hand you WILL let out some Magic Blue Smoke from SOMETHING, ask me how I know...

For a $10 part and 30 minutes of labor why take the risk?

jdeoliveira74

After my stock filter base went bad I put a RACOR490 on mine. It has a 24 volt heating element,clear sight gauge with a drain at the bottom for watter, and best of all it has a priming botton at the top of the base along with an air bleed hole. I am useing it by it's self with a 10 micron filter. The only draw back is that RACORs are kind of expensive.
I am doing something similar.. when you hooked it your up did You do it on the suction side of the pump? I was told I would have to do it that way since mine will have the primer pump as well....
thoughts?

fuzzpuss

Since I got my 1009 in August of last year I have yet to see any problems with the box filter setup and like someone had pointed out to me on here " if it ain't broke why change it yet" and it hasn't. I was going to do the doghead mod and thats when I got told that and to date my baby has not given me one issue in that area. Now with that being said I will be the first to change these things as they fail, but don't touch until then[thumbzup]
Yup sure enuff the box filter failed but not so bad to fix... the o ring on the back of the filter base started to leak you just have to pry out the little sensor and throw it away and put JB weld in place of the sensor. I got that info off another site where a guy named Van had been giving advice for the military CUCV's. As soon as I went out to start it and she didn't fire right up I knew it was a fuel problem... when to the box and reached under it and bingo she was wet back there. Simple fix, had the wife crank her over while I bled the air out, drove home and fixed it.fat lady sings

howesblazer

i did it too today very easy and very cheap but any ideas on a universal fuel heater to screw in the other ports (i got a 4 port napa 4770) or the water in fuel light ?

minimalist

Did the mod last weekend. I went with the OP's napa stuff rather than the stanadyne because I got irritated about the shipping cost of the stanadyne. I did the plumbing slightly different. Lowe's didn't have the 1/2 mip to 3/8 splice of the 1/2" mip to 1/4 splice. I used a 1/2 fip to 3/8 with a 3/8 splice/mip and on the outlet side a 1/2 fip to 1/4 with a 1/4 splice/mip. I ran new fuel line to the inlet side eliminating a splice and put a 1/4 splice to the outlet because I didn't want to spend all day getting the hose clamp off under the intake. I also used gas line tape instead of teflon. No leaks at all and it seems to run smoother at idle in gear where it used to shake.

I didn't retain any fuel heater and it's been as low as 29-30 degrees with no problems starting and running so far. I had to get this done as my caprice is down again with a optispark problem that I thought I had fixed 20K miles ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks