• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV spin on fuel filter mod

that1028guy

I dont want to highjack the OP thread, But I just put my spin on kit on tuesday night. I reused the factory bracket, with a little mod to it. A simple bit of plate steel you can see in one of the pictures, and my 10lbs of brass fittings... But I was able to reuse the fuel llines! I bought the filter kit with a water seperator sight bowl, and a fuel heater for 250. with the water sensor would be over 400! And is probably made out of gold!

Attachments

engineman2

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems smart to keep similar ideas in the same thread. While I liked pawnshops setup, I thought I could improve a little. I just put on my spin on filter yesterday. This was the second time the stock unit sprang a leak and I was done with it.
Bought:
Napa #4470 filter base $40
Napa #3005 3-micron filter w/ water separator $25
Things I had with approx prices:
Brass fittings probably about $10
Steel plate $10 or so
RTV silicone $5-8 a tube
HD thread tape $3 a roll
5/16x1.5" bolts with nuts/washers, $4
1/4-20 nuts/washers to go with the old filter bracket bolts $2
New 3/8" feed and 1/4' ip line $5
Total: ~$107
I did much the same thing that1028guy did, using the steel as a riser to clear the valvecover. I used HD fuel resistant thread tape and RTV silicone on the threads because I'm crazy about fuel leaks.
It no longer has the w.i.f. sensor, heater or vacuum sensor. The loss of those doesn't bother me very much. Two interesting notes are: multiple filters with 1"-14 threads will fit in the area I mounted this, giving me flexibility in filtration and the #4470 base has two outs and two ins, allowing me to add sensors and such later.
I started to take a few pictures with my phone, then got really into it and forgot. But I did remember to take a picture of the final product. I'm glad I started to read about this conversion on here before winging it, even though I've converted filters before. Thanks guys.

Attachments

Milkman357

ok..

Maybe Engine man typed in the wrong NAPA numbers.

He said 4470.....for the filter base..
But I think he meant to type 4770? Well the Napa parts person figured it out whatever it was...

I used my USPS discount.. saved almost $15 on those two parts total...
But I bought a piece of metal..... which set me back $10... so that's a wash..

There is no way to bleed the air outta the system.. so YA GOTTA FILL UP THAT FILTER WITH FUEL!... trust me!

I couldn't get the stock filter assembly to stop leaking... I don't fix things that arnt broken.... But This seems to be a good modification.. pretty simple..

I would say I have less than $100 in it.... and now I have a 3 micron filter!

I run power service in the winter months.. I don't anticipate any fuel gelling problems.... Thats the POWER SERVICE insurance! This truck is very very low rust.. It might not get drove much in the salt spray of IOWA anyway..

THANKS STEEL SOLDIERS for all this great INFO!

engineman2

Ahh yes Milkman, you are correct I did put up the wrong number. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I like how you have single brass barb fittings, I couldn't find any that made the size correction in one step in the shop. I too get an account discount, 50% at Napa. Woohoo! The 3 micron is definitely nice, and that large canister has a TON of surface area to filter through. And as Milkman said: fill the filter with diesel before installing, your life will be much easier. :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I just killed 2 birds with one stone. Just bought 2 of the Cat filter assys from hdexpert in the classifieds. One is for the deuce. The base has the 1:14 threads so it will take many filters. The filter in the kit is too long for the CUCV but will be a spare for the deuce and I'll get a baldwin filter for the Cat base. With fittings and everything I'll be under $115 for both trucks.

mudman

I unstalled a squeese bulb for a outboard motor on mine. that way filling the filter is alot easier and less messy. Just open the bleeder and squeese it a few thime and it's full. Alot easier on the starter too when you have to work on the fuel system. Bleeding out the air is a snap.
Ken..You got any pictures of this set up..This sounds like a great idea!!!

Thanks
Ken Uber

Sam27

Great thread! I wish everyone was converging on one solution so I'd know what to buy. I like the simplicity of the last two NAPA setups people posted, but the lack of bleeding capability bothers me. My box filter is having problems and the easy bleeding is what keeps me going. If I'm in a hurry I just open the bleeder, crank it over a bit and then run out and close it up. A little diesel on the driveway and I'm off and running. It will never start otherwise.

Any recommendations for a spin on setup with bleeder that won't break the bank? I don't need heat in Tucson.

Milkman357

Bleeding...

Sam27...
I think one of the benefits of this spin on system is there is no un needed venting system... it removes one way that can leak...

I didnt want todo this conversion.. but after several tries of trying to stop the leak... I had a choice, either but a replacement off ebay.. or go this route..

I have confidence in this system... which is something only you can judge for yourself..

I didn't have any fuel to fill my filter... so I just installed my system.. and cranked.. then I walked away awhile to let the starter rest... then tried again... Well this wasn't working.. so I decided to check the fuel filter.. see if it filled up yet.

PSSSSSS there was a fair amount of air trapped in there.. so I wrapped the top of the filter with a rag.. and let it vent the air.. The filter was almost full at this point..

I had the stock filter laying there... it had just enough to top off the spin on filter... I then re installed the spin on filter..

after a FULL fuel filter it didnt take long to start...

the point.. you can vent the system if you get air in the filter.. but if the filter is full.. you shouldn't need to..

Maybe youd like to buy the replacement off ebay.. But I'm happy with this mod.. and I"M CONFIDENT in it's performance..

I think the stock filter has a 8 micron rateing...

This one has a 3...and it's BIGGER! I expect longer life outta my fuel system components... and I expect no more hassles!

Your mileage may vary......

bigdogdale

spin on

Great thread! I wish everyone was converging on one solution so I'd know what to buy. I like the simplicity of the last two NAPA setups people posted, but the lack of bleeding capability bothers me. My box filter is having problems and the easy bleeding is what keeps me going. If I'm in a hurry I just open the bleeder, crank it over a bit and then run out and close it up. A little diesel on the driveway and I'm off and running. It will never start otherwise.

Any recommendations for a spin on setup with bleeder that won't break the bank? I don't need heat in Tucson.
Sam27, here's a pic of the spin on filter housing that I'm gonna put on my m1008. It's from a marine application. if you notice on top of the housing there are 4 ports. Two marked in and two marked out. I intend to use the extra "out" port to install a small brass bleeder/petcock. Hope this helps you out!

Attachments

bigdogdale

Pix of my spin on filter set-up

Ok, here's pix of what I'm planning. I would really like some feed back on this so I don't shoot myself in the foot....or worse...again!:cookoo: I was digging around in my shop for fittings and came across that dandy little pressure guage, apparently unused, and figured it couldn't hurt to know how much pressure is normal for t-shootin' purposes. I haven't thread taped all the fittings yet, just assembled for pix. Nest step is an electric fuel pump.

Attachments

Milkman357

Nice

I like the inlet and outlet.. the angles are perfect.. That will work slick when you hook up the lines..

The guage is overkill for me.. but I can see it might add to the coolness..

I'd be worried it would be another thing that could fail...

bigdogdale

spin on

I hear ya on the guage. AND I don't know if the guage is compatible with diesel fuel, but life is and experiment and until I have a failure with the guage, i'm gonna wing it!:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks