• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found in the woods

tymbom

My father was out exploring in he woods and found a truck. He called me all excited trying to figure out what it was. He emailed me some pics and I was able to identify it back in 2006. I was recently visiting him and he took me up to where the truck sits. I would love to drag it home and give it some TLC but its on Forest Service land. Its actually an old mine. Has anybody ever recovered a vehicle from Forest Service lands before?? I thought about going to the local office and asking, but I didn't want to in case they decided to haul if off for scrap or make an auction out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

waayfast

If its an active mine, it probly belongs to the mine owner.May want to find that out--may find the owner has title and would want to sell.If the mine is not active (to clarify--claim abandoned hence the land IS forest service)---THEN you are negotiating with them.Access (retreival/travel across FS land) may end up an issue also. Good luck--it looks to be pretty good shape!This is the type of recovery that is fun because of the challenge--makes for good storys at the MV parades/shows!

citizensoldier

Its a Dodge WC51 or WC52. I cant tell if it has the longer frame in front for the extensions..Save that sucker!! The back looks mostly there and fixable.. Most of the time that is missing.. It has a home made hard top over the cab. This probably kept it in good shape on the inside.. More pictures? She is WWII issue and getting rarer by the minute..

roscoe

Who you ask makes a big difference in the responce you get. Check around with some of the forestry personel and see who in power is the most reasonable. I would ask though if you want it.

tymbom

Thanks for the encouragement guys... The guy in the cab wasn't any help. He was too busy making motor noises. The cool thing about actually recovering this truck is you can drive right up to it with a car trailer. Hmmmmmm next time I'm over there I'll go to the Forest Service office and ask around. I'll post my findings. My dad took a bunch of pictures of it when he found it, but I lost them on my old computer.

tymbom

Its not in a park. Its at an abandoned mine though. It doesn't look like the mine has been used since the '60s or '70s. The odd thing about the truck, besides the awful cab is someone took the axle shafts and third members off front and rear. How hard would it be to find replacements? Would it be better to just put newer running gear under it? The engine, transmission, and transfer case are still there. I'm thinking another M1008 from GL and swapping all the running gear under this truck would be cool.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that would be a super swap. those low.. low ... low geared m37s didnt like hwy speeds at all. but those axles shouldnt be hard to find .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks