• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Medium towbar pin question

randyscycle

Since pins (and other stuff) for the medium towbars are getting a bit tricky to find, I was wondering if the 1" pins found at the local Tractor Supply would be safe to use?

These are longer than the originals, but look to be hardened and if they will pull a large implement, they seem like they'd be OK for a towbar as well.

Anyone else used these, or have any input? Thanks in advance!

grounded

Banned
make sure you get the ones that take a pin, cotter key on the other end. NOT them press ball type ones cause they will viberate out and you will have issues ;)

sermis

I don't have any right now but I had a bunch of 1" NOS pins a while back I sold for $10. If I get more I will post up. I do have a bunch of NOS 3/4" pins if needed.
A lot depends if you want what should be used verses what will work. TSC pins will work, 1" bolts will work.
I do have a few 1" pins with the round head, not the clipped head used for the tow bar if needed. If they are put in from the opposite side they work fine.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically alot of different ways will work. But in the end the pins are easy to find. WM was just a perfect example of what could go wrong. I don't think that risk is worth a $10 pin. Now sometimes you have to do different things. When we recovered the M48 it has smaller diameter pins (15/16 I think) so we got grade 8 bolts and put nuts/washers on it then mashed the threads with a hammer to ensure the nuts didn't come off. Sometimes you just have to, but if you can i'd go with the right pin.

randyscycle

Thanks for all the replies!

I DO plan on getting the correct pins, but if I need the towbar before then, I'd like to at least be able to recover something or get it off the side of the road in a pinch. I firmly believe that the right tool for the job is critical.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Randy, I don't know what WM did, but I have used both and have had no problems. Unless you do something the tow bar was not intended for, I think you should be fine.

randyscycle

Randy, I don't know what WM did, but I have used both and have had no problems. Unless you do something the tow bar was not intended for, I think you should be fine.
Kinda what I figured. Just standard towing. Probably will be towing the 715 short distances with the Deuce. Of course, who knows what might follow me home next? :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks