• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 trumps 250 and Allison kills Cat

reb87

Ive been hauling beans with my m915a1 and it is working great. I was concerned the 5 spd auto wouldnt be enough but it works great. Top speed at 2100 is around 57mph so I think I will put on some taller tires. It pulls 80K with no problems at all. I have a big hill to climb on the way to the elevator and my m818 slows down pulling that load but the m915a1 will accelerate up it if I push it. ( The 818 will definetly be better at harvest with wet fields though)

I have to say the allison tranny is a lot nicer to operate than the cat 16spd auto in the m915. I just put it in the 1-5 setting and dont worry about shifting. The jake brake,air 5th wheel ,400hp cummins ,allison auto make for a very nice easy drive.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the report, reb87. I too have been amazed with the Allison. Driving the A1 is almost like the family car. Bob-tail it will just run like a scalded dog!

The only thing lacking is one of those Red Dot air conditioning units.

I think my deuce is gonna get parked for a while . . . this is too nice.

taylorcraftbc65

Always enjoy your posts, thanks for the pics and the info. Great to see good use out of surplus stuff.
The COOLEST "old surplus stuff" are the 4A084 flat four cylinder, air cooled engines designed by Teledyne Continental, that powered Gensets, and water pumps. Stripped down to their flying weight, they weigh 124 pounds, and make 42-46horsepower at 3,200 RPM. A lot of us, me included, use them to power our Ultralight aircraft. They have 1,500 hour TBO's, a LOT more reliable that the two strokes we USED to fly behind.

I only posted this in response to what I quoted, let's NOT hijack this thread talking about Genset engines. You want to ask questions, are comment, then PM, or E-mail me. Brie

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks