• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My towing light setup MV's/Civi

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I came up with for towing MV's and civi stuff. Some of which is borrowed from members on here.

1st cable is a 3 foot long, one end plugs into the standard MV trailer plug on truck, other end is standard 4 wire plug(vehicle side) for civilian stuff.

june 09 194.jpg

2cd cable is 35 foot long, also plugs into the MV trailer plug on truck, and has a trailer side 4 wire civilian plug.

june 09 193.jpg

3rd cable is a standard magnetic tow light set, with the cables extended, and 24 volt bulbs.

june 09 192.jpg

To tow another MV, I used the 1st and second cables plugged together, hooking the trailer recepticals on both vechicles together. Then disconnect the turn signal switch on the towed MV. Now the lights on the towed vechicle will operate with the lights on the towing truck. The headlights will also work, I disconnect the grounds on the headlights to turn them off, and not overload the light switch in the towing truck.

june 09 196.jpgjune 09 197.jpg

To tow a civi trailer or truck, I use the 1st and 3rd cables. 1st cable goes on the towing truck in the trailer receptical, then plug the magnatic lights in. Slap them on whatever your towing, and you are good to go.

Here's a pic of the wiring on the MV trailer recptical, for wiring a standard 4 wire civilian plug.

trailer wire receptical.JPG

Dennis

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One was an intervechicle cable for a M818, 10 or 20 bucks at swap meet. It has a male and female end for the trailer plugs. Just used one end on it.

The other came out of a wiring harness I had, was supposed to be for the rear lights on a deuce, but I think it was a trailer harness.

Then a 25 foot roll of the 4 wire trailer cable from TSC.

Dennis

kurtkds

This is what I did for my setup.

I took an extra set of lights that I had laying around along with an extra plug.

I used approximately 40 feet of 9 conductor direct burial sprinkler system wire that I also had laying around (you should see my garage :oops::oops:) so I could wire all the individual light circuits.

Currently I'm using magnets bolted to each of the individual lights for flexibility.

Reference TM 9-2330-213-14&p page 4-30

Attachments

Last edited:

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use extra MV tail lights with trailer wire harness on a peice of angle iron and bunge cords on the truck in tow.

TaylorTradingCo

Gimpy,

I love the last picture in your post. It looks like the truck has an elephant tail:)

Yes, the purpose of the post was to remind us all about the potential consequences of safety negligence and to provide general info. on a military vehicle related event. The bad thing is, this guy drives a semi truck for a living! He should've known better. He lives in north FL and was heading to TX I think to pick up a M818. He said it was in MS and I think it happened on Sunday.

I know I for one will make an additional effort to be safe. I can't afford any problems.

Derek

frodobaggins

Gimpy,
I love the last picture in your post. It looks like the truck has an elephant tail:)
Yes, the purpose of the post was to remind us all about the potential consequences of safety negligence and to provide general info. on a military vehicle related event. The bad thing is, this guy drives a semi truck for a living! He should've known better. He lives in north FL and was heading to TX I think to pick up a M818. He said it was in MS and I think it happened on Sunday.
I know I for one will make an additional effort to be safe. I can't afford any problems.
Derek
I think you posted in the wrong thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks