• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a sand blaster

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Stretch and I have been talking about getting a "good" sand blasting system for our trucks for a LONG time. He has actually got a compressor on semi-permanat loan and found a cheap source for 1800lbs of black beauty. I told him since he got the other stuff, I would russel up an OK pressure pot. I have some tanks that would probably convert to a pressure pot pretty easily, but we decided against the possibility of "the creation" exploding. Fast forward to last night. I was mad that I didn't win anything on GL, so I was taking my sorrows to craigslist. As I was brousing, I ran across a listing for a sand blaster. It had a rough pic, but looked to be a decint size blaster. I figured maybe a 100 or 200lbs blaster. No price listed - make offer. I emailed with a lowball offer and waited to hear back (if I didn't insult him too much). A reply email arrived and I called. We worked out a price and I left to get my mystery blaster. He was selling for a friend or old guy or something like that. To my surprise, I left with a 600lbs Clemco blaster with a big pre-airfilter and two massive water seperators. It needs a little work where the air and sand ports meet, but that is just iron pipe to be replaced. It didn't come with any feed hose(sand and air delivery), but I think that should be easy to round up. Here are some quick pics.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

I have been doing some reading, soda will work in this blaster. The guy said it would work better with an external aggitator, but it wasn't needed. I hope to be using this on my wrecker so I'll just stick with sand. After looking on-line, WOW these are expensive.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
600 pound clemco+190cfm compressor+4000lbs of black beauty abrasive=enormous sandblasting capacity! Should be able to strip a truck in no time. What, not going to tell how much you stole it for? I'm thinking it ranks up there with the wrecker deal.

Dennis

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same rig, and it works great, but is a bit slow cutting through 8 layers of CARC. I'm about to go use it right now. No, not on an army truck. You will see that as soon as you have a blaster set up, EVERYONE will bring over lawn furniture, trailers, etc for you to blast "when you are not busy". Between the fuel and sand at $5 a sack, it is not cheap to operate. Make sure you get a Bullard hood and breathing air filter to go with it, don't want you getting silicosis.

gimpyrobb

FINALLY! I can reach the site. (I have been having problems connecting lately.) Yes, it came with a CPF 80 which can supply filtered(breathable) air to 4 users. The filter inside looks like it has never seen the light of day, untill today! I turned the housing upside down to get it out and it disinegrated! If the rain would let up, I might try to turn the blaster right side up (and the camera, you smart azzez in another thread) to see what else needs repair. NO Stretch, no need to say what I got it for. SWB you can use it anytime you want, just need a way to load and unload it. It weighs in at about 600lbs.

gimpyrobb

A trailer you say?! I think someone was just talking about scrapping some 105s. Humm, who was that? Maybe we could mount it on one of those...

oilcan

Put the whole setup on a laundry trailer. Compressor, blaster, abrasives, breathing apparatus, hand tools, etc... Do you really think a 105 could handle all that? And with 4 landing legs, you'll have a nice stable platform to work from.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most important aspect of setting up the rig is how do you get the sacks of media in the pot. If the pot is on top of a M200 and the media is on the ground, you got a backbreaking problem. I have the pot on the ground and use the forklift to carry the pallet of media right to the edge of the pot. But with that setup, the forklift gets covered in media, not good for the hydraulics. Just do yourself a favor and don't lift and carry the sacks, or you will end up with herniated discs, ask me how I know . . .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, say someone has a 105 to contribute to this exercise how about mounting a pickup type crane for lifting and moving the media bags?

This one weighs 30lbs and says it lifts up to 900.

Truck mounted crane by Spitzlift

That would give everyone a portable sand blaster in the tri-state area. Right Gimp?

;-)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well one problem is my compressor is a trailer mounted compressor, that I'm allowed to use, in exchange for storage/maintenance. So not sure if it would be allowed to travel, and would require a second tow vehicle or another road train idea.

Hey gimp, dad has does work for a paint removal place, they have cabinet, and blast room, but can't do the large stuff. So he's talking about sending work our way....

Thinking of building a room in the garage, it would be 35x14x11 tall. Hang some plastic and lights, and maybe even insulate it for heat in the winter.

Dennis

Dennis

gimpyrobb

Steve, I was kidding about the trailer, but yeah, you can use it when needed. Stretch, sounds good. 11 tall enough for the crane?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
retracted and lowered, yes. M108 fits under 10 foot easy. And there is some room with the tall valted ceiling to extend/raise the boom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks