• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a sand blaster

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barneyszoo said:
My first post, need some info on the bushings on the leaf spring ends. Also need to replace the seals on the front axle. Any help would be great.
First off welcome to the site.

I'm going to try to say this as politely as possible, this is the totally wrong thread for that question. Plus there is very little information in your question, the biggest piece of missing information would be...what kind of truck???

There are specific areas devoted to each type of vehicle and some miscellaneous areas as well. I'm sure that a lot of people would be willing to help you out with your question, but they are going to need more info first. sorry.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy's pot is a 600lb clemco. Have to remember 1/2 pipe is about 3/8 on the inside. Not sure if that's what measurement you used for CFM. Either way, it's propably too big. We are on the hunt for the proper hose and nozzle.

The fairmont is repowered with a 5.0 fuel injected motor, and AOD tranny. It's quick, but not real quick. Even gets 24-26 mpg on the highway. Pretty good for a v-8! Quit driving it about 5 years ago, got tired of paying exta tags and ins. Also have a second one with a 351 in it, it's a project that may never get done.

Dennis

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So thanks to the great members of this site, we might have a nozzle and blast hood. Does anyone know how much line is too much from the blaster? Stretch was thinking 50ft. The output is 1.25 inch, I figure we should use hose that is the same size. Anyone?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch, you're right about the pipe, I forgot about the I.D. being a bit smaller. From the chart I saw, the 3/8 nozzle would still use about 211 and 238 CFM at 90 and 100 PSI. That's still a ton of air!!!

Grainger should have the dead man valves if you can't find them anywhere else.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
with that size of compressor and size blast pot, 50 feet would be easily handled. The only real problem you run into with added length is pressure drop in the hose...when you're running 100 to 125 PSI, a pound or two isn't too much concern. My smaller pot has 25 foot of hose and it's just fine. 1.25" is probably too big for the whole hose, you're going to have to neck it down at some point unless you want to hold up that heavy hose and nozzle all day. Unless you're planning on using your 1/2" pipe nozzle all the time, 3/4" hose should be fine, but I would think you would size it according to what the deadman valve will accept.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

So I ended up grabbing a Joy air compressor, 150 cfm for cheap. It has an International Harvester slant 4 motor to power the comp. Anyone know anything about these motors to check BEFORE I try to fire it up? It is in poor condition, but I will try to bring her up to "full mission capable" status. One step closer to having a blasting trailer!

1310monster

Couple of things...forget about soda. I think that was just a fad. Everyone I have talked to who had something soda blasted says it was a mess and they would never do it again. Right now, it looks like the trend is to go lots of media volume with a lower psi. I spoke at length to a place doing whole car bodies using black magic using the high volume lower psi route and they say they can sandblast a whole car body without warping. Now these military trucks will take more abuse. They might hold up to any psi and volume from anything but it might be best to go the high volume lower psi route too. I'll see if I can dig a link up to that place. If you can , recycle the black sand. It only gets better with age. I'd suggest blasting inside a shipping container.

gimpyrobb

So I ended up grabbing a Joy air compressor, 150 cfm for cheap. It has an International Harvester slant 4 motor to power the comp. Anyone know anything about these motors to check BEFORE I try to fire it up? It is in poor condition, but I will try to bring her up to "full mission capable" status. One step closer to having a blasting trailer!
Well 2 days ago I tried to turn it over and the motor locked up on me. I pulled the plugs and shot some atf in the cyls. I was busy yesterday so today I went over and tried to start it again. No luck. I pulled the compressor section off the motor and figured out how to turn the flywheel in reverse. Once that was accomplished, I hooked up some jumper cables and she turned over and over and over! Woohoo, free spinning motor. Next I cleaned the plugs with a wire brush and installed the wires. Sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and hit the button. Motor turned over but didn't fire. Check for spark, no spark! I tested the coil, it had no juice supplied to it. Jumped a wire from the coil+ to the jumper cables, sprayed some starter fluid, hit the starter button and she fired up!. Now I have to find that coil wire and fix it right, then hook up a fuel tank and plumb it in. Once the motor runs for a few min. I will go ahead and hook up the compressor part. Things are looking good for a cheap GOOD blasting settup.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like you are making good progress on the compressor. A running motor is always a good thing to have!! :-D

Nonotagain

Gimpy,

The International motor probably is a 196 cu in 4 banger. I had one in a old International Scout 800A.

They use the same crank, connecting rods, cylinder head and pistons as the 392 V-8 engine. Just about all of the International gasoline engines shared some parts.

If memory serves me, there should be a plate running the length of the block where they sawed the other half of the block off..

gimpyrobb

Thanks for the link, I got it running with help from the guys at Binderbench.com. Just needs some fine tuning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks