Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention!! Please use caution when driving vehicles home from auction!

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,661 Times in 393 Posts

Bump to the top for those who may not have seen it.
    Chris Stansbury, founder of Chris' CUCV Homepage in 1998 and Steel Soldiers in 1999.

Current:
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M756A2
    1962 Dodge M37B1

Gone, but not forgotten:
    M1009, M35A2, M1009, M561, 404 Mog, M818, M923A2, M931A1, M1008, M925A2, M998

HUGE M925A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uPlSnZ

HUGE M923A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uO2g3K

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone.

Thanks

Great thread. I remember someone not long ago on here posted pics towing a M105 with the hitch open and no safety chains attached cause the shackels were missing on the truck............I could not believe it.

One more note............................For god sake, keep the stupid crap of YOUTUBE too!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vtdeucedriver For This Useful Post:

66Reo6X6 (03-14-2010), Jesse6325 (01-10-2013)

Thanks

If you’re going to do something stupid DON’T TALK ABOUT IT!! I have done some stupid shi* before and looked back and thought, “what the he// was I thinking”.
    SON OF A B/TCH TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a bltch' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
    - Winston Churchill

If it walks out of the refrigerator, just let it go

[Westech] 19:40: you try smacking it with a hammer?[Westech] 19:44: I tell ya it works!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubba_got_you For This Useful Post:

4x4 Forever (02-05-2010), 66Reo6X6 (03-14-2010)

Thanks

bump

Thanks

Default Level headed advice!

This is good advice! Being a Volunteer Firefighter and an EMT, you can't imagine this things we see. You may be excited when recovering a vehicle and have good intentions. However, your life can change in a moment! Could you live with yourself having known you caused an accident that had fatal effects? We see many lives ruined over just a moment of stupidity.

Please don't let it be yours!

TigerHawk

Quote Originally Posted by papabear View Post
    I think the post served it's purpose.
    Some fellers seem just **** bent to overload trailers, disregard safety concerns and even drive MV's without insurance.
    As somewhat stated above...individual actions/risks may effect us all in the hobby.

If we can't afford to do it right...let's just save up and wait until we can. As stated...once that tragic accident happens...the person on the ground will feel the immediate effects...but we will all feel the after shock!

It really ticks me off to read on the forum...or anywhere else about an SS troop taking crazy risks/chances that may effect us all...so please...if ya can't do it right and safely...leave it alone until ya can.

PS...If ya do something stupid...and get by with it...please don't brag about it here...others may try and not be so lucky!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frodobaggins View Post
    I don't really see a problem with no tags, but if you are driving home an unsafe truck, or a truck with no insurance, you are an idiot. There is no excuse for those two, none at all.
    I am probably talking out of my hat. I recover VWs all the time I know it is a big difference from picking up a deuce.

As to driving without tags, it is common in Louisiana to travel without tags to get a vehicle home. It is allowed as long as you can prove,

A. I just bought it.
    B. It has insurance.
    C. I have all the paper work to prove A & B.
    D. Lights, brakes, tires and mechanicals are in order.
    (cruising down the interstate with a flat or junk hanging off is not allowable)

Just my two pennys worth,
    Gary
    Two goldfish are in their tank, one turns to the other and says, "I'll drive, you man the guns."

1974 VW Thing
    2003 Suzuki Volusia
    2006 Ford F-250 Power Gulp 4X4 Diesel

Thanks
    Thanked 22,282 Times in 7,695 Posts

"Safety First"... We've all seen this slogan in our workplaces, work vehicles on the public roadways and, well, EVERYWHERE! It only stand to reason that it should be FIRST here.

Dear Chris (and other Moderators),
    Would it be possible, in some way, to make this thread MANDATORY READING for new members? Maybe at least have it Auto-Emailed to the new members mailbox?

Just my first thoughts following my first read of this wonderful thread.

Roll-On SteelSoldiers....Safely, PLEASE....................................

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

73m819 (12-01-2009), Abert (03-05-2011), Billy Bobbed (12-01-2009), conductorx (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Accidents do happen and they're the ones to post in a effort to get the word out so that someone else doesn't find themselves in the same hot spot.

Accidents due to; inattention to detail, being over-confident, under-smart, in too much of a rush... they're not the ones to be proud of.
    For those who say "Aww, that'll never happen to me"-- put your wife and kids in the front seat with you and say that same line over again. Are you still willing to take a chance?

Second point; While any MV is a rolling billboard for enthusiasts, it's also a rolling red flag for those who want to take us off the road-- why give the bad guys any advantage at all?

Lastly; Chris and the mods have, and do, put in long hours to make the site what it is.
    Getting in a wreck, hurting yourself... well that's the price you pay.
    But nothing gives a careless operator the right to make Chris, or the site members, or any innocent bystanders have to pay for that operator's screw-ups.
    Jones
    Sacramento, California

If a camel flies, no one will laugh if it doesn't get very far.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jones For This Useful Post:

73m819 (12-01-2009), Abert (03-05-2011), conductorx (12-02-2009), ElkHunter61523 (12-01-2009), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (12-01-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Accidents due to; inattention to detail, being over-confident, under-smart, in too much of a rush... they're not the ones to be proud of.
    For those who say "Aww, that'll never happen to me"-- put your wife and kids in the front seat with you and say that same line over again. Are you still willing to take a chance?
    I can testify to that fact. In 2006 I fell off of my roof for those exact same reasons listed above. In spite of a perfect safety record for over 25 years of working in chemical plants, refineries and 9 years at NASA I forgot the rules. I spent 12 weeks out of work, 4 of those in a wheel chair, 4 more weeks on crutches and I still have a limp.

Heed the advice given here. I have never bid on a deuce or larger truck simply for the reasons stated by the moderator at the begining of this thread.

Take care guys and hope to see you all safely on the highway.
    Gary
    Two goldfish are in their tank, one turns to the other and says, "I'll drive, you man the guns."

1974 VW Thing
    2003 Suzuki Volusia
    2006 Ford F-250 Power Gulp 4X4 Diesel

4 Star General
    Thanks

Default M54 recovery

How about a story where it went right, even though it should have gone wrong. I picked up an M54 w/w from a city auction. We recovered it on a cold day in March. Assisting in this was a retired 1st Sgt. of Artillery. He was expericenced on this type truck.

Chalked on the front bumper was, No Brakes. We looked at all the bodily fluids including the master cylinder and all seemed to be in good order. With a little coaxing, it was in March and cold, the multifuel started. They had disconnected the air alarm, but the gauge built pressure. We bled the tank which had quite a bit of water in it. Let it warm for a bit and decided to move it, pulled it ahead and it stopped, pulled ahead and it stopped. Drove a bit more and it stopped, so we decided to chance a drive of about 7 miles on low volumn back roads.

Went slowly and had no brake problems. Got home and called on the city mechanic to ask about the brake situation, where he informed me there was nothing wrong with the brakes as they had just put about $2700 in brakes and bearings. I paid considerably less than that for the truck and a couple of guys I talked to did not bid because of the message on the bumper.

As a friend tells me, "it is a good thing that you don't have to be good looking to be lucky"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Amer-team For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (02-06-2010)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast