• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton pricing!?

TadB

As everyone says "Guys im new to the forum and i have a question." I went to a Military surplus yard today, looking for a 5 ton. Found mostly 2 1/2 tons, but there were a few 5 ton bridge trucks in alright shape and several 5 ton tractors. There was one 5 ton tractor in pretty good shape. Missing several misc. items, mirror, gauge panels, one marker light....small stuff. The owner wants $8,000. Is that too much? The second thing is... the owner needs about 30(Dueces and 5 tons) trucks moved from one location to another, along with several lowboy trailers(military), refer boxes, and a bunch of other misc surplus items. We have the ability to move these items, but I have no idea how to price this. Im renting a 10 ton forklift for a week, and have 2 people laboring for that week. Im young(24) and have never bid anything like this. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Another quick note. he says he has tow bars to move the trucks. How large of a truck would be needed to tow the dead weight of a 5 ton? He has a 5 ton in awsome condition we will be able to used for towing. Thanks

ABN173

Others are probably more knowledgeable on this topic but it seems there are missing variables from your equation such as how far and what type of road conditions.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say 8 grand is a little steep for a tractor that's not in A1 shape.

I'm in the machinery moving business so know about moving all sorts of stuff. The best way to price it is to figure what you need per hour and roughly figure how long it will take. It's hard to figure something like this by the mile because you'll spend a lot of time that's not on the road loading, unloading and such. We get $120 per hr for our lowboy but if you're flat towing it would be less. A rule of thumb for flat towing is the tow vehicle needs to be as big or bigger than the towed vehicle.

TadB

Towing distance is next to none. About 3 miles. Like you said m16ty the loading and unloading will be the majority of the time. We will have 2 one ton dodges w/ goosenecks hauling everything but the trucks. Except there are 2 high speed 25 ton cranes, that will be hauled on our drop deck. He keeps telling me he can get 13,000 out of the truck in A1 condition from loggers. I just dont know how to deal with it. I guess i can find one somewhere else and just do the job.

ABN173

Sounds like the guy is trying to barter with you or use the truck to offset the job cost? If you click the Gov Liquidation add on the top left hand side of the page I am fairly sure you will be able to find a 5ton truck in Alabama or Georgia for less.

TadB

I agree. He will not dicker with e on the truck but he wants me to dicker with him on the pricing of the job. Im thinking it wouldnt be a bad deal to trade the 5 ton tractor for the hauling we will be doing???

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Er kinda what tractor is it?
8K is way too much TadB...Unless it is in drop dead super condition with a clean transferable title. 4 to 6K in good running, driving, stopping condition is what I look to pay.

As far as bidding on moving that stuff...I suggest an hourly rate. You will find all kinda roadblocks in a situation like this.
When my heavy haulers/tow trucks aint moving and charging hookup/mileage...they are getting hourly rates.

If you think you can use his stuff...just make sure you cover your labor costs etc...oh...and check on insurance!!! his tow vehicle etc and who pays if one of your fellers gets hurt?

oilcan

I need to find those loggers. (Gimp insert lewd comment here) 13 g's can buy a lot of green stuff. I've seen pretty nice 818's retail from 6500 to maybe 9500, and a touch more with a winch.

On a side nte, it can take as long to prep for flat towing as loading one up on a lowboy. At least until you get the hang of it.

TadB

Like i said the truck is missing small stuff. It hadnt been started in about ten years until today. We checked everything out that we knew to and it fired right off with some new fuel and batterys. It is an M818 by the way. From what i could tell it is missing is, FR marker light, Gauge panel(god knows how many miles/hours are on it), LS mirror, drivers seat, spare tire. Its all small but i still dont think its worth 8. By the way that cute little thing about being worthless w/o pics is pretty obnoxious. On a happier note, the area we are in ill be using no rear lights or air just a tow bar w/ a follow vehicle. Its all small back roads. Sorry to be rude about the pics comment. What are heavy hauler hourly rates. Im using family equipment, just got out of the servive and trying to get started on my own. My biggest problem is im horribly im patient, and i want a 5 ton BAD.

TadB

Like i said new here, but no its def a 5 ton. Whatd i say that would given the impression of a 10 ton? A1? i just posted a new remark about 3 10 tons i found, but some remarks on that would be helpful as well. By the way does anyone have a 5 ton tractor in running conditon for sale, somewhere in my area?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
150 per hour is our minimum for heavy haul...up to 100K CGVW + permits

Legal loads per hr...100

Dont sell yourself too cheap...sometimes its better to let the equipment set idle then just break even

KsM715

TadB, Just for reference, I paid right at 3 grand for my 818 from GL with buyers fees and all and it isnt missing anything. I drove it 300+ mile home and ran fine. If he thinks someone will give him 8grand ask him why he still has the truck and not the the 8 grand in his pocket?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks