• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII dodge ambulance ~ Need some information

llamas

well i have inherited a wwII dodge ambulance that looks ALMOST identical to the one in the picture i have included, Im sorry i dont have the EXACT year or model yet.. but its a canadian armed forces dodge ambulence.

It runs great, we have a new plow added on to it, its main job is to plow the road into our cottage in the winter time.. chains on the tires etc..

The only problem I have is I have NO clue what the 3 levers under the dash on the passenger side do... well i have some idea what they do (lock the diffs, engage front axle?)

But they are not labeled at all, and Im scared to touch them! I dont want hurt my awsome truck, but (WHEN) if i get it stuck i need to know how to use these options on my truck. I have searched this amazing site for about 2 + hours and have not found any information that can tell me exactly what these levers do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

dont know much about this model but on the M37's and the flat fender civiy's the two on the far right are transfercase controls second from right with button on top is parking brake. the t'case levers both forward is two wheel drive high range. rear lever back is 4 wheel drive high range. both levers back is 4 wheel drive Low range. another real good site for DODGE's is www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums

Boatcarpenter

Don't know if this applies to your Dodge, but I grew up with a 42 Ford Military jeep around and the high/low range shifter had a bump on it down low that kept you from putting it in low range unless it was in 4wd also. Low range was too much torque for the rear end only. 4wd in or out in high range no problem.

GoranWC51

The WC54 did not have a high-low as such. The right hand side lever engages the front wheel drive. 1st gear in the gearbox as a a low, or off-road, gear. The 4-wheel drive is supposed to be run only in 1st gear.

I always start my 1945 Dodge WC51 (Mechanically identical to the WC54) in second gear. The jump from 1st to 2nd is big and 1st gear has a top speed of only 7 km/h (4-5 MPH).

These Dodges are mechanically very reliable and seldom gives you any problems. Just make sure to get the appropriate TM's, or Technical Manuals, that the US Army produced for these vehicles. One source for these TM's is Portrayal Press in the US. The TM's can also be downloaded but the web page eludes me at the moment. Give your vehicle the upkeep according to the TM and you'll have no problems.

Why not post a few pictures with your Dodge hard at work.

Live well - and prosper....

Goran Noren
Lidingo
Sweden

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks