• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy this deuce I found, it'll be my first

1qwkgoat

Let me start by Saying Hi. I've been wanting a MV 2.5 or 5T for years now and I joined this site last year when I realized my addiction was getting stonger and now I'm finally in the position to be able to get one, with out it creating a financial burden.

Bear with me this might be long. I've read all the TM's for the truck, and would like some feedback from current owners, before I make the buy

So on to the question I found a Deuce for sale near me, I've gone and looked it over several(alomst daily for the last week or so, I can't help I'm drawn to it) times, it appears to be in good mechanical condition. I found evidence of brake fluid in the rear/rear left wheel and on the brake backing plate. But it's never fresh and the spots on the rim on not usually at the bottom of the rim. So I'm unsure if it was a old problem that has been corrected, but the wheel never cleaned. However I can see a little shine to the gunk build up on the backing plate. I know it runs, I can tell it is moved about once a week to mow the area of the lot it sets in. It has a slight rear main seal leek but not enough to make a spot in the grass that I can find, just a few drops, but who knows how long they start it or idle it, when they move it to mow. 4 of the tires are 90% new, 2 are 70-80% new, spare has never been on the ground. Glass good, hard top good. One small rust spot on front of front fender, surface rust in spot on other fender. Rusted out spot on exhaust below where it goes under the fender. Truck is a desert camo that is needing redone, so surface rust on bed and tailgate. It is a Air shift T case, cab heater. It also has a winch with what appears to be ok condition cable, but it was wound on with no tension it appears. Its a multifuel turbo. Haven't opened the hood to see if it's a C or D model.

There is no price on it. However there is another deuce setting next to that has recently been over hauled (both where bought the OKC auction last spring) I'm assuming the same person owns both as there is no contact infromation on the one with the winch (it was brought to the lot 2 weeks after the other) The non winch one is a 71 and it has the troop seats in the bed, no cover though, it's also a Air shift T case with cab heater. They are asking 3750 for it. It was for sale last year for 5500.

I have not contacted the seller yet. I wanted to brush up on deuce knowledge and get a idea of what a fair price is for the W/winch one. Since it doesn't have a price on it, I have no idea where to start, I don't want to offend the seller, but at the same time cheaper is better for me. I was thinking of trying to get it in the range of 2800-3200. Does that sound fair?

In a year if I wanted to move up to a 818. Say i redid the interior and did the truck in a nice 3 color camo. Could I reasonably expect to sale it for the 3500?

Sorry for the length, I can attach a pic later when I get home

P.S. if any body in the OKC would mind letting me come take a look at there running deuce and possibly take me for a ride that would be appreciated greatly. As I have never been around a running deuce or rode in one.

gunboy1656

Well I hate to say it but you might be in for some sticker shock, you can find fairly decent non winch trucks starting at 2500.

Frodo is right about being 4000 for an average. You might get lucky with the issues at hand.

1qwkgoat

Well I hate to say it but you might be in for some sticker shock, you can find fairly decent non winch trucks starting at 2500.

Frodo is right about being 4000 for an average. You might get lucky with the issues at hand.

That's kinda what I figured and didn't want to offend the owner, with a lowball price offer. However I have read on here that a winch will typically add a couple hundred to the price of the truck, correct? So if you can get a decent truck for 2500, this truck is decent add 500-800 for the winch and that puts around 3000-3200 range. The trucks where there last year didn't sale, been there a month this year, hopefully the seller is motivated to sale. I'll start at offering 3k drive it and go from there. Now atleast I know what is fair

Mt Doom Field Owner

The first Deuce I saw was at a small used car sales lot nearby and I, like you, had dreams of owning it and driving it... then I found the SS-Forums here and started conversations just as you have done and got about 100 replies back from MV owners. Believe me, you have found a gold mine just in having this site in your favorites list. I resisted the $3500 tag on a well worn truck and soon made a deal with a fellow member of Steel Soldiers for $2500 on a MUCH MUCH nicer, lower hours, lower miles, nice bright greens and colors... man am I a happy camper now! After buying the truck it has cost me a few hundred more dollars but all the little problem areas (temp. gage, wheel seal leak, headlights and a grease job, leaving only the windshield wiper motor to go) are fixed and every weekend we load up a couple of dozen paintball players and haul them back into battle zones with it. It is somehow befitting that this deuce can still transport troops (paintballers) much as it's ancestors had done before it. :-D

1qwkgoat

Make a offer what can you lose?
Thats the plan. Hopefully he doesn't get offended, who know's what i may find after hearing it run and drive so far that fact that it runs drives is just specualtion from me.

If it's outta my price range I'll ask the seller if I can post his contact info on here.

1qwkgoat

I'm taking the cash with me as I will want to take it for a test drive. As a person who has sold plenty of sports cars, I don't like letting people do test drives unless they show a serious intent to buy the car. So I expect nothing less when I play the roll of the buyer. I'll ask if I can drive it, show him the cash that can be his if the test drive checks out ok.

As stated before I'm playing the cards that he is really motivated to sale this

bubba_got_you

Thats the plan. Hopefully he doesn't get offended, who know's what i may find after hearing it run and drive so far that fact that it runs drives is just specualtion from me.

If it's outta my price range I'll ask the seller if I can post his contact info on here.
[FONT=&quot]If he takes offence that’s his problem. Back when I was thinking about selling my m37 a guy called and offered me $3500 for it and told me about how he could get an already rebuilt truck for $4000. i have $6000 in parts alone in the truck and I paid 1500 for it when I got it. So I kindly said no thanks and told him to buy the $4000 truck because it was a dam good deal. And made jokes about him later hope this builds your confidence :wink::wink:[/FONT]

1qwkgoat

[FONT=&quot]If he takes offence that’s his problem. Back when I was thinking about selling my m37 a guy called and offered me $3500 for it and told me about how he could get an already rebuilt truck for $4000. i have $6000 in parts alone in the truck and I paid 1500 for it when I got it. So I kindly said no thanks and told him to buy the $4000 truck because it was a dam good deal. And made jokes about him later hope this builds your confidence :wink::wink:[/FONT]
It does help. I've played the seller roll more times recently than the buyer and I just hate those obsurd lowball offers some people make. But as said what is there to lose, he says no misses out on cash in his pocket. I find another truck.

I also needed to know what it's "real" worth is so I can judge exactly how far above my price I should go before I decide to walk away and find another truck

zb39

I have 2 with winch trucks 4 sale, $3800, but am 1000 miles away. Also everything works on my trucks as it should. Good luck with wahtever you do, they are fun to play with.:-D

1qwkgoat

I talked with the guy he seemed nice said the truck had very low hour motor and the wheel cyclinder had been fixed the rim was never cleaned. He is asking 4200. I decided after a test if everything is good I would offer 3500.

lets hope all goes well. Thats a fair price split I feel.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$4200 is not that far out of line if the truck is decent. I have seen good winch trucks in the $3500 range though. I think your thinking right to offer $3500 and go from there.

1qwkgoat

I ended up having to spend my evening helping a friend add a section of fence at his grandpa's place to keep the cows from getting out.

Maybe I'll get a chance to get it tomorrow

1qwkgoat

If the guy bought the truck 1 year ago, after purchase price, fees, recovery, registration and repairs, $3500 is about his break even point.
Make sure he has a title for the truck, not just bill of sale or SF97.
With this economy anything you bought last year that you could break even on today. Would be doing good in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks