• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need a load out of mechanicsburg, pa

ddskehan

just won an auction on a m35a2 at mechanicsburg, pa. also need someone to look over to make sure it safe to drive home to massachusetts. The post said that it runs. I hope I just didn't buy crap but you know how it goes"nothin ventured, nothin gained". low mile m35a2 no winch with a d turbo for $1600 USD.

Coal Cracker

Whats your lot info# I bought a truck there too, and have seen/previewed most of whats come up in the last few months. I'm do for a recovery as soon as EUC clears Battle Creek.

I'll let you knoe if I've seen your truck

ddskehan

lot # 5076. Did you preview this truck? The pics look pretty good. I tried for a truck with the winch in MD but it went for more that I had on hand. I'm not expecting a perfect truck but hoping for a pretty rust free one that runs good.

Coal Cracker

lot # 5076. Did you preview this truck? The pics look pretty good. I tried for a truck with the winch in MD but it went for more that I had on hand. I'm not expecting a perfect truck but hoping for a pretty rust free one that runs good.
I cant seem to find it. if you go into your GL account and fin your page with the pics on it, then copy address bar and paste here and I'll be able to see it.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
just won an auction on a m35a2 at mechanicsburg, pa. also need someone to look over to make sure it safe to drive home to massachusetts. The post said that it runs. I hope I just didn't buy crap but you know how it goes"nothin ventured, nothin gained". low mile m35a2 no winch with a d turbo for $1600 USD.
Runs is one thing. "Stops" is another thing altogether. And "Will stop every time you need it to on your trip home" is something totally different. Many of these trucks have been sitting for years. A few good stops can expose a rust-weakened brake-line, a weak hose, or a weak wheel cylinder. You can't inspect wheel cylinders without pulling the wheels.

Personally, I would never give anyone the "green light" to drive hundreds of miles based on a cursory lookover in a GL yard. I don't want to have any part of that responsibility/liability.

If you're planning on driving it home, you ought to inspect it personally. That way, there's nobody to blame if anything goes wrong. I hope you get home safely, but the fact of the matter is you ought to bid close to home if you can't afford the shipping from hundreds of miles away. And don't forget to have insurance and tags, etc...:deadhorse:

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what to tell you. I live close to Mechanicsburg, but as CUCVFAN said, I'm not crazy about the idea of telling someone that I looked it over and it's ok to go. I don't want that liability on my head. Getting these things running is the easy part. It's everything else that's hard. Several trucks i picked up ran like tops, but had no brakes.

I bought one truck more than 50 miles from me and I'll never do it again. It was a safe recovery, got home safe and sound and i'm experienced with these trucks, but I had problems coming home that I never thought I would have. Truck spent the night along the road in one state, and me in another. Again, all was ok, but I had plans, B, C, and D and am somewhat resourceful. Mechanicsburg to MA is a whole new ballgame.

Just curious, why did you bid on a truck so far away? I didn't see this truck, so have no idea, nor do I have any idea if there a bases with trucks closer or not, but just curious.

If you do the recovery, try to allow extra time the day of, and NOT on base. You'll have to remove relatively quickly. But I'd get it off base safely and then find a lot or something close by to work on things. There are several truck stops not far away. Just a thought.

If I'm up there sometime soon, I'll take a look, but I'm not a mechanic and hold no responsibility for my opinion. After that, if you need assistance on getting out of there once you come to recover, I may be able to help.

Eco

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock up on Deuce specific parts too like wheel cylinders, filters, etc. Brake lines can be fixed pretty easily (provided you have the proper tools like flaring device, etc.) but other stuff is deuce/MV specific and can't be had by running down to Autozone. In other words, what happens if you need two wheel cylinders to get it home? You can't just go hit autozone. That goes for lights, etc. This is why I said find a parking lot/truck stop close by to work on things the day of recovery, then drive it home the following.

Learn from our mistakes (or at least mine).

Shared with all respect.....

ddskehan

I may have not expressed myself clearly in my last post. I need to have it looked over to make sure it is safe to drive home. I'm not looking for a quick "look over" but a complete inspection and possible repair. I would have liked something closer to home but I didn't want to continue waiting for something that may never present itself.

here's the truck http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=2531693

Last edited:

ddskehan

I would have bought it closer but then next closest base is drum, ny. which is almost the same distance. I could have it shipped to my home but i was wondering if was cheaper to have it repaired and then drive it myself. It would almost be a vacation for me to drive it home. I still wish we had a base in mass that sold these, but they closed fort devens down. I was stationed there when they closed it. I do appreciate your advice thou... this is my first MV. I'm used to newr cars not old trucks. But this seems like it is going to be fun. right out of the gate i need weapon mounts, muffler and I want to get it singled out.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had given serious consideration about driving 2 back from Iowa, that i had even previewed and checked over. I chose to have them hauled home and glad I did. One blew the generator after an hour of running once I got it home. It blew out the headlights as well. All this happened while in my yard once it was here. I cannot imagine what would have happened if this would have happened an hour out of Ft Dodge, 100o miles from home and my parts truck. Now I was taking a car loaded with parts and putting the car in the back of the best shape deuce, for the trip home. I would have wound up swapping generators in the deuces and flat towing for 1000 miles, just waiting for the DOT to pull me over, break down again or brake failure. That is my 2 cents on long range recoveries of 50 year old trucks.

drdstny

Banned
I was just at Mechanicsburg yesterday picking up my carp from a previous auction. EVERY Deuce there looked pretty doggone nice, but that's a 20' view while Mike was loading my truck. Made me want one.

Coal Cracker

I agree with all the posters, I am a mechanic ASE Cert Master Tech. If it had pistons, including steam, I've worked on it. I would never give a go ahead or nod of approval on a piece of machinery that old, and unknown, No where/ No how. My truck runs and has brakes with no obvious leaks or gremlins, I live slight of 2 hours away, and I'm hauling mine.

I don't want to start out on the wrong foot in the hobby/sickness:p most of the trucks there had brakes(good pedal), and a few didn't seem to., My opinion would have been on rust etc. There's no way you can go into a comprehensive inspection on the base, I.E pulling wheels to check lining, cyl's, replace lines.

Will she make it home:roll:, maybe, maybe not, If I lived that far away, I would go to u-ship, and run with the best price.

To me it wasn't if she'll make it home, it was the sight of loosing the pedal, or loosing the steering and taking out someone's family! With that I'll spend the extra and haul mine.

Just My 2cents Good Luck

ddskehan

I do appreciate all the posts. I'm trying to contact a mechanic to go thru it, and a heavy mover to get it delivered to me at home. All your posts about getting it shipped worked. I'm not 20 years old anymore and breaking down would make for a very uncomfortable situation. At least all my tools will be near me at home. I'm just itchin to drive it. I'm sure you can understand that.

Coal Cracker

I do appreciate all the posts. I'm trying to contact a mechanic to go thru it, and a heavy mover to get it delivered to me at home. All your posts about getting it shipped worked. I'm not 20 years old anymore and breaking down would make for a very uncomfortable situation. At least all my tools will be near me at home. I'm just itchin to drive it. I'm sure you can understand that.

Good Job, If my EUC comes through, and I loadout, and yours is still there, I'll make shure she's allright and buttoned up :grin:

scooter01922

Welcome to the site, nice looking truck you scored there at a nice price. The MA contingent of this site is growing nicely. We all need to get together one of theses days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks